1967 Merc 650 intermittent choke problems

jackalopesniper

Recruit
Hello, I am wondering if someone may be able to help solve my problem. I have done extensive searching and haven't found a solution. I have a 1967 Merc 650 on my bass tracker.when i first got the boat, my choke worked fine on the first couple lake trips. One day while out on the water, I hit the choke button and nothing happened. I pulled the front cover and manually choked, and was off and running. I didn't need to use it the rest of the trip, but decided to try it at home and it worked just fine a couple times, then quit again. I found that if I bumped over the motor, and then tried it, it would work once.
I did some research on the subject and read that the solenoids are subject to failure, so I replaced it with a used one off of eBay, as I wasn't able to locate one new. I installed the new used one, and was having the same problem. I bump the starter and it would work once.. Then bump the starter again for one more use. I figured it would be ok for the time being, so I took it to the lake.
At the boat ramp I tried to do what I had been doing, and this time... Nothing. I manually choked and got the motor running. After some fishing, I decided to try it and it worked fine, as it did for the rest of the day. When I got home, my luck told me to try it again. This time.. Nothing, and the starter bump trick no longer worked.
I pulled the cover for inspection and found that if I pulled up on the manual choke and hit the choke button to see if I could help it along, and I started to get sparks all over the choke linkage. My first thought was a grounding issue, so I pulled the solenoid and buffed off any residue and reinstalled... Same scenario..
I pulled the solenoid again and inspected the wire to find that the insulation was broken around the base where it goes into the solenoid. Although it doesn't seem to be contacting anything, I am wondering if the insulation inside the solenoid is broken and contacting the body?
Is there something I can do or something I am doing wrong? Also, is there a better solenoid that I may be able to retro-fit onto my motor?
Sorry for writing a novel, but I am pretty frustrated with the whole situation, and the motor runs like a top other than this issue.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1967 Merc 650 intermittent choke problems

Have you checked for voltage at the solenoid the push button switches go bad more often than the solenoids

jackalopesniper

Recruit
Re: 1967 Merc 650 intermittent choke problems

Yes, I have 12v to the wire when I press the button, and I also tried a jumper wire from the positive terminal on the battery, directly to the solenoid.