Gear housing water drain hole leaking gear lube.

Hullkster

Recruit
Hi, I'm a new menber of the forum, first day. I just bought a 1992 Bayliner 1850 with a Mecruiser 4.3L engine. After 4 days as its owner, I noticed a small amount of gear oil on the floor under the drive assembly. The small amount of lube was coming from the right side gear housing water drain hole. The bought is 21 years old, but looks like it just came off the assembly line. No signs of wear anyplace inside or out. I was wondering if anyone has an idea what the problem may be. I was just getting ready to change the fluids when I notice the leak and stopped. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, The Hullkster:joyous:

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gear housing water drain hole leaking gear lube.

Well if you are getting ready to drain the fluids, do that and then do a pressure test. Making tester is not hard, there are directions on here somewhere. I just used a auto vacuum/ pressure gauge, a fitting from a gear lube filler hose, as plastic tee, a ball valve, and an air fitting along with some hose clamps. If it will not hold 10 - 15 psi of pressure, then you can start looking to see where it is leaking.

Hullkster

Recruit

Thanks, I'll do that. I saw a simular thread in the archives that gave me the same info as you did. if it's too much over my head, i'll take it in to the dealer and let them check it out. Thanks again, fellow Wisconsinite. Come on up to the chain-of-lakes, here in Northern Wisconsin.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You will need to remove the drive before you can pressure test it.