Please help me assemble my screw-post dock

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
I'm seeking help from members familiar with the type of dock I have:

79Crest.jpg

Last fall I bought a cottage that came with this dock & old but working boat. The dock was hastily disassembled for winter storage & now I want to put it back in place. I know how everything goes together but I'm not clear on the best procedure to assemble it. My cottage is 200 miles away and other obligations have kept me away--including this holiday weekend--so I won't have the benefit of watching my neighbors install their docks like I had hoped.

Each 8 or 10-foot dock section is made up of 2 rails that the 2x6 PT decking is bolted to. Each rail sits in 4-hole brackets attached to a crossmember between each pair of aluminum poles, so each "H" support is shared by 2 dock sections. The poles have sand augers on the bottom that screw into the lake bed.

The poles can't be screwed into the lake bed unless the crossmember clamps are loose so it looks to me like there are only 2 ways to put it together:
(A) Drive in ALL the "H" supports & then drop each dock section into place in the brackets. This requires great precision in getting the supports the right distance apart & in line. Strings, levels, lasers, long straight 2x4's....etc. probably required.
(B) Drive in the 1st support assembly to approximate depth, secure one end of the first dock section to it & raise the crossmember into position under an existing wooden stairway hanging over the water. Let the other end of the dock section sink in the water. Raise that end up & attach to the next "H" & level with the first end. Continue adding supports & dock sections to end.

So for the experienced dock assemblers: Do I have these choices correct and which works best? Is there yet another method? Any tips to make it go smoother?

Also--each dock section is very heavy and I don't think my wife is up to the task of lifting her end. Any tips on how to muscle them around? Right now they're stacked in the yard near the steps & the "H" supports are in the shed...waiting for me :)

rogerwa

Commander
Re: Please help me assemble my screw-post dock

How deep does it get to the end of the dock? I would bring out two braces to support the end of the dock while screwing in the posts. Something like an old automotive jack on each side or a 2x4 with a ledge attached to hold the section in place. There are many ways you could hold up the end of the section.

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer

I realize my post is a little long but I do say why that wont work.

rogerwa

Commander

Sorry maybe I am missing something, but if you go with option B, your problem is supporting each lakeside section of dock as you place the support and screw the posts in as you work your way out with each section. You could use one of the other braces as a support to hold up the end you working on then remove it when the support you are installing is ready to set the section down.

One thing you may consider to ease the process is to switch out the auger tips for pads that rest on the sand. I just replaced my dock in a river and it just had pads.

If your wife cannot help, you will need another body to help. The sections may float once you get them to the water, but getting it all set will be far easier with another strong person..

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I would start out with a case or two of beer and find a thirsty neighbor with dock assembly experience.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

How about putting the dock together.
loosen clamps so anchors pivot, dragging it into position (wood floats) and start at the shore end placing in the screw anchors?

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry--maybe it's a regional thing but I thought this kind of dock was really common & there would be lots of suggestions from others who have done this many times on their own docks.

I've thought & asked about it enough that I have a pretty clear plan in my head on how to proceed.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would put in a floating dock. I have done this type of dock you describe but had a backhoe to lift with. Guess you could put dock on bow of the pontoon boat and float out then put polls in

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer

I would put in a floating dock. I have done this type of dock you describe but had a backhoe to lift with. Guess you could put dock on bow of the pontoon boat and float out then put polls in

I accept your generous offer :)
I'll buy the beer.