Spark plugs and wires

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class
On the 1959 Johnson Super Sea Horse 50 HP, do the plug wires "screw in" to the distributor cap? I have tried to get them out but the tip became detached and is stuck in there. I have to get it out of there and I don't want to try the others if they screw in. I am replacing all the wires if I can find them for sale somewhere, they are about 12" long. Also the plugs that are in the engine are RJ19LM, not the J6C that I though are the recommended plugs. Is that a good plug for this engine?

Thank you in advance!
Dave

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Spark plugs and wires

The plug wires do screw into the dist cap. Not sure where replacements could be had.

J4C or J6C is recomended plug. Does it cross over to RJ19LM? If not, replace them with proper plug. I used to use J6C on lower two cylinders, since my carb sucked so bad, the lower cylinders ran richer than the uppers.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Spark plugs and wires

Thanks Chris1956,

I am glad I didn't start pulling on the part! I have learned that when it doesn't seem right, STOP, and find out. I guess I can reuse the fittings and just make new wires. Thank you very much for your assistance. I do not know if the plugs cross reference, so I am going to look at the plugs that are supposed to be in there, after I run the old ones with Sea Foam in the fuel mixture.

Dave