Tripping Breaker

cheath

Cadet
Thought I would ask and see if anybody else has had this problem before. I have a 1995 bass boat with a 150 Evinrude. When connect my big motor to the starting battery it will turn over and run just like it should but when I connect the acc. to the battery, like bilge pump, aerators, graph etc. the motor will not turn over and It trips out my breaker feeding the acc. I can connect acc. only, without big motor connected to the battery, and the acc. run fine. With the 2 combined it will not run everything. Anybody have an idea what it might be. I have not changed anything it's been connected like this since I bought the boat in 1997. Also I have torn this boat apart and checked every wire from to back and have not found any chewed or shorted wires. Thanks

Re: Tripping Breaker

if the battery voltage drops the amp go up and that could be whats kicking the breaker so first step is what bhile surgest and thats to have the battery tested for free at a autoparts store. (possible dropped cell so it still has cranking amps but low voltage)

UncleWillie

Captain

Or load test it yourself if you have a meter.

With the Meter leads on the ACTUAL BATTERY POSTS, Not the Clamps, Connector, Terminals, or the Wires; The Battery POSTS!
The battery should read ~12.6 volts or at least 12.4 just sitting there doing nothing.

Keep the meter on the Posts while Cranking the engine. Pull The coil wire OFF to keep it from starting if needed.
While cranking you should see 11+ but not less than 10.5.

Attach the Accessories and try this again.
You should get very close to the same numbers.

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does the acc breaker trip immedately when connectted to battery or does it trip when you try to start the motor?