Anyone use this zinc primer?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Anyone use this zinc primer?

Looks to be similar to the Rustoleum zinc compound. West Marine has quite a premium on their supplies. So, if you can find an equivalent at hardware, home, or automotive stores, go for it.

you would only want to use the zinc rich paint on iron/steel. Use zinc chromate on aluminum.

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whats the differnece between zinc primer and zinc chromate primer? I wanted to spray some zinc primer on the base of my powerhead to make sure it is corrosion resistant for the remaining years of life the motor has. Can I use the stuff in the link above for the powerhead or does it need to be zinc chromate?

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Zinc Chromate is a corrosion resistant agent that is added to certain coatings. Even today, chromate finishes including Zinc Chromate provide superior corrosion resistance. Additionally, Zinc Chromate is highly toxic thus protecting the surface from proliferation of organic matter.
For the powerhead you be ok with just the zinc primer for the mid and LU the Zinc Chromate is a must if you are painting for longevity and protection vrs show, See hyperlink below ...

Everything You Need To Know About Zinc Chromate

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im just gonna go with the west marine zinc chormate then. I need to paint the L/U and the midsection inn areas, as well as the base of the powerhead. The can they sell is a pretty decent size. Im looking for longevity so the chromate sounds like a better deal. Thanks for the help everyone.