Broke spring pack u-bolts on the hwy.

MRS

Commander
Was on the way to Havasu for striper derby 2 miles to off ramp and u-bolts snapped :eek: E-ticket ride.
Now do need to change axle and looking at the spring pack do not think they are weight rated right for the weight of the boat. Plus need to raise the boat to get the fenders to fit right they never did since I got this boat. I am thinking mounting on top of axle with heavier spring pack will it raise the size of the spring pack?

Boat weight on reg. 2,225lb.s axle is 3,500lb. I figure with every thing loaded in boat 3,ooolb.s total.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: Broke spring pack u-bolts on the hwy.

Guess I'm just not seeing what you see. It all looks fine to me. I've seen much worse posted here. I'd use it as is.

MRS

Commander

That is the side that broke I repaired it with bigger u-bolts to get it home plus fenders will not cover tires right cause boat is in the way. So have to raise boat so I can use the right with fenders that is why I was thinking of mounting over axle it did bend my axle when they broke.
Do you guys think square or round axles are the same strenght wise?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

So did you replace the hardware on the other side spring too? Are you sure that the axle bent or is it a cambered axle?
If an axle is rated at 3500# then it doesn't matter what shape it has, it will carry that weight.

Still not seeing a problem with the width or placement of the fenders.

fishrdan

Admiral

Sounds like a nail-biter!
:jaw:

How is the axle bent, torqued end where the bolts held or a normal downward bend in the middle?

I'd check to see what the max width is for trailers (102" or something like that) to see if you can widen the axle. The fenders do look a bit close to the hull, maybe put a carpeted guide board on them to protect the boat, similar to bass boat trailers.

trailer-fender.jpg

I guess if you need to replace the axle, now would be the time to fix the fender clearance issue.

With the "boat" spec'ing out at 2250#, I'd haul it down to the scales (truck stop) to see what the whole rig actually weighs. See how much weight is being carried by the axle and tires, then go from there.

MRS

Commander

Yes it was I would love to get something in between fender and boat but no room plus tire is wider than fender no room for wider fender that is why I got to raise the boat to get more clearance.

This is why I think I got to mount on top of axle should I go round or square or does it matter?

MRS

Commander

So did you replace the hardware on the other side spring too?

Heck no just the one side had a fishing derby to be at had spare and launched boat got new tire on Monday and towed home.
So now got to fix right.

MRS

Commander

If I put a straight axle on it, now has a 2-1/2in. drop axle on it will it raise the trailer 2 to 2-1/2in.s from the tire?
Plus the axle or spindle is bent so I do need to change out one way or the other.
The last photo you can see the tire toed in at the top it did hit the hwy. at 60 mph.:scared:
Plus will get new axle couple inches long also Thanks for any Help.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Yes the straight axle will raise the bed of the trailer from where it is now.

MRS

Commander

Thank you I think that's is what I will have to do plus get new springs while I am down there.
Maybe go with 5 leaf springs instead of 4 that are on there now.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Maybe go with 5 leaf springs instead of 4 that are on there now.
Loadrite warned me about installing springs heavier than actually needed when I rebuilt my #7000 tandem trailer. It had #2200 (4 leaf) on it. Was advised to go with #1750 (3 leaf) instead. The heavier springs do nothing for capacity. Transfer more shock to the boat.

MRS

Commander

Loadrite warned me about installing springs heavier than actually needed when I rebuilt my #7000 tandem trailer. It had #2200 (4 leaf) on it. Was advised to go with #1750 (3 leaf) instead. The heavier springs do nothing for capacity. Transfer more shock to the boat.

dingbat, thanks for the reply I have the 3500 axle and so far I have found the 4 springs rated for 1500lbs each and the 5 for 1850. I will have to look for the 1750 springs cause that is what I would need. If you look at my photos the bottom spring on mine are real small so I am not sure what these are rated at, came with the trailer when I bought it do not think they are right. Mean't short not small.

MRS

Commander

Ok I do need to change axle so I want to raise at least 3" because has 8" fenders but needs 10" wide. So I have now 3 1/2" drop axle if I go to a straight axle will it give me 3" clearance from the tire now? Plus will add new leaf springs but I need 3500 axle and all I can find in springs is either over or under 1750lb.s.

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your current springs work and aren't damaged, then maybe a pair of new U bolts and drop down to a smaller tire with the same weight rating?
I'd hate to raise the boat and find its then harder to launch because of it.

A combination of smaller tires and properly fitted fenders might just do the trick. You only need enough clearance between the tire and fender to slightly exceed the space between the axle and frame. Remember that tires grow slightly at speed.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you suspect the axle is bent, either get it re-aligned. Or, replace it with same shape new axle. I'd replace with same weight rating. If you suspect the leaf springs packs are bent or worn out, I'd replace with same weight rating as well.

Unknown to some folks, leaf springs have different arch shapes. Some have 3" and some have 4" (even for same weight ratings). If you need more tire to fender gap distance and if existing leafs are 3", then replace with 4" arch shape leaf springs. Always replace both leaf spring packs at same time. Thus, getting same batch of steel (that created them).

I also noticed your single axle trailer uses shackles (at end of each leaf spring pack). If you want to gain more fender high (after matching leaf spring packs are replaced), simply buy/install longer shackle plates. Existing appear to be 4" long. If needed, replace with 5" or 6" long shackles - on a single axle trailer. On my one trailer, I have 5.5" long shackle plates created by my local welding shop.

If above is applied and one still wants MORE height, simply remove the axle and re-position under the leaf spring packs. And to re-adjust back down, a few inches, replace current 4" shackle plates with perhaps 3" or 2" shackle plates. Thus, going from 3" raise down to 2" gap. Or if 3" gap looks good, then lower the fender by 1" or 2". Thus, creating more gap distance from fender's top area to boat surface as well.

Using above different methods, the adjustments are near endless. Before buying parts, simply connect boat trailer to your Tow Vehicle, use some blocks under trailer frame, jack up things, stand back and do a visual "stance" look-see. If all looks good, then decide how you want to adjust the axle's position and/or the fender position. re: Shackle plates, more arch leaf springs, move fenders down and/or re-position axle under leaf spring packs. Or, apply different combinations of each.

If wondering, I re-positioned the axle under my boat's leaf spring packs. This created 4" gap from tire to fender. And, I need to back trailer 12" further into the water. 2 x minor negatives. But unlike your one picture, no worries about tire rubbing the fender's inner side. For my setup, re-position axle under leaf spring packs was a great solution. Boat stance is now aligned on my Tow Vehicle, boat's rear motor is higher off the ground and one can now see its understand rear ID light bars as well. Win-win on many different areas. Might be good choice for your setup as well.

Hope this helps.

MRS

Commander

batman99, Thank you this is the reply I needed I do need to replace axle and spring packs axle hit the hwy. at 60mph. and did bent the spindle. So now I have a 3-1/2" drop axle if I get a 2" drop axle and mount the springs on top should raise trailer/boat at least 2" from tire right? If I need more or less should be able to change with shackles right? My boat is wide so I really need to move it up and trailer away from tires so I can get the right fenders on it. Thank you again....

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

batman99, Thank you this is the reply I needed I do need to replace axle and spring packs axle hit the hwy. at 60mph. and did bent the spindle. So now I have a 3-1/2" drop axle if I get a 2" drop axle and mount the springs on top should raise trailer/boat at least 2" from tire right? If I need more or less should be able to change with shackles right? My boat is wide so I really need to move it up and trailer away from tires so I can get the right fenders on it. Thank you again....

I'm not very good with math. But if one draws a picture of axle beam thickness, leaf spring pack thickness and "drop down" spindle thickness, one can confirm the estimated final number. Number of 2" drop compared to 3" down axle. To confirm this "on paper" diagram, suggest jacking up the trailer and inserting blocks of each thickness. Then, stand back and do a visual "stance" check. How are the under axle beam to loaded boat's keel distance, how are the tire to inner fender distance, how is the fender to boat's outer hull distance? And, based on stance look and clearance numbers, can the fenders be lowered (if needed)?

Hope this helps....

MRS

Commander

bat, thanks will try the wood blocks later today. Have to clean up garage a little first.:grumpy:

MRS

Commander

bat, Thanks for the advice I did see your trailer on another post with the high fenders and raised trailer that is what I need so I will go with the straight axle and should give me 3-1/2" raise. My shackles are 5" so if I need to lower a little will replace with 4" Thanks again plus will be able to get the right with fenders on the trailer finally.

MRS

Commander

Ok ready to buy straight axle is there a difference in a round axle and a square axle if so what would that be? Is one stronger than the other? Have never got and answer to this question wondering because can get the round off the shelf but have to order the square one needs to be built.