Folding tongue hinge supplier question

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Currently I have a Fulton 3"x4" tongue swing away hinge on my trailer with a 4ft length folding away. If I take the Fulton table as gospel and extrapolate their chart based on my trailer weight I could extend it another 5" and not exceed the maximum folding length. However, it is not really worth the effort for just another 5". I am looking more for a 1.5-2ft added length of the trailer (total of 5.5-6ft folded length).
I have seen some other designs than Fulton but couldn't find a supplier for them.
Is anyone aware of a Fulton competitor I could ask for a stronger hinge? None of the Fulton's would make it.....
I know that the bolts and hinges have to be extremely sturdy for that but I wouldn't care if I have an iron mine there.....

As I boat from a pretty shallow ramp (steep where the vehicle is and shallow in the water, yuck) I would really like a longer tongue but without folding the boat wouldn't fit into the garage any more.

Thanks for any possible leads!

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Folding tongue hinge supplier question

That's a good start! Thanks! Unfortunately you can't tow with it and there isn't a space where I could hook it up before launch as the trailer would "run away"......
I also have a folding tongue, just to short, and that system wouldn't just bolt on.

UncleWillie

Captain

... there isn't a space where I could hook it up before launch as the trailer would "run away"...

A piece of 2x4 A.K.A. "CHOCKS" would solve that problem for about 50 cents.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer

You won't believe it but I have chocks which I would never trust to hold the trailer if not hooked up to the vehicle at that ramp. The other issue is that you have to directly drive to the launch and I don't want to be the one who delays launching for others as I first have to extend the tongue in a pretty risky process.
All I am looking for is a permanent solution which higher load capacity than the Fulton one which uses pretty short sleeves over the tongue and 2 relatively small bolts/clevis pins which limits the maximum length of the folding piece.
I found pictures of better solutions with google but could never find the manufacturer or they had closed shop (not unusual in this economy). Looks like I have to design my own and weld it. Will get very expensive as the places selling steel here believe it's made from Unaffordium.