Small fuel line clamps

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Where can I find small clamps (I prefer worm clamps) for the small fuel lines on my 25 hp Yamaha? These need to have a clamping diameter range down to about 1/4 to 3/8's inch. The smallest I can find are 3/8's nominal, which translates to about 5/8's actual clamping diameter. The small lines on the engine itself are seeping fuel at the fittings, due to old spring type clamps that are weak.

If iboats or other online resources have them, I've failed to find them. Automotive supply stores don't have anything that small.

Thanks,

John

Mama Juana 10

Recruit
Re: Small fuel line clamps

If these are the same fuel clamps on my Yamaha 225's, then I would suggest you go on Amazon and buy them. I bought a bag of 25 for about $16. If you go on the Yamaha website you can look up the part... they put it in a bag with a model # and sell one clamp for $12. Yeah $12. I almost had a heart attack!!! Oetiker Clamps 15.7 mm or they are list as 5\8".

Capt Ken

Commander

You need to replace your fuel lines if the are leaking. Those spring clamps, like using wire ties, are not suppose to clamp to make the seal tighter, they are to prevent the hose from slipping off the nipple by not allowing the hose to slide past the bulge. Never use screw clamps on an outboard fuel line being they do not seal 360 degrees and can cut the hose. Larger Yamaha uses odiker clamps but your fuel pressure does not need them.

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to replace your fuel lines if the are leaking. Those spring clamps, like using wire ties, are not suppose to clamp to make the seal tighter, they are to prevent the hose from slipping off the nipple by not allowing the hose to slide past the bulge. Never use screw clamps on an outboard fuel line being they do not seal 360 degrees and can cut the hose. Larger Yamaha uses odiker clamps but your fuel pressure does not need them.

I wondered about that. So if I replace the hoses, the old original clamps are probably OK? I've really had a problem finding these hoses and clamps for the engine. All searches turn up hoses and such for the tank to engine components.

There's not a engine dealer close by, so I guess I'll get on the phone.

I'm now just considering ordering all the lines and clips, as they call them, from Yamaha.

Thanks, Ken, I appreciate it,

John

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

...you go on Amazon and buy them. I bought a bag of 25 for about $16. If you go on the Yamaha website you can look up the part... they put it in a bag with a model # and sell one clamp for $12. Yeah $12. I almost had a heart attack!!! Oetiker Clamps 15.7 mm or they are list as 5\8".

If that's 5/8" nominal, that's too large. Hose is measured ID, which means a 5/8" clamp really has a clamping diameter of 7/8" or more.

Thanks,

John

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This may not be what you're looking for, but I had purchased some zip-ties (Ty-wraps) for a similar situation. These zip-ties have a curved part where you pass the lead back through (very hard to explain), but it makes a circular contact, which a conventional zip-tie does not. The manufacturer was HellermannTyton. For the conventional size (8" x .2") that everybody uses for everyday use, the part number was CTT60R0C2. The smaller size (4" long by .1" wide) which I used for rubber tubing that was in the 1/4" dia category was #CTT-20R-blk. I just did a Google and came up with nothing, but I know they were available somewhere. These ties keep pressure around the 360 degrees of the connection, not ~330 degrees like most zip-ties..

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

This may not be what you're looking for, but I had purchased some zip-ties...These ties keep pressure around the 360 degrees of the connection, not ~330 degrees like most zip-ties..

I'll see if I can locate them. I had considered small zip-ties. I understand what you mean about the curved portion. That would make for a much better seal. That was the problem with worm clamps-when you pulled them down that small, they were no longer round. However, Captain Ken said that the clamp was not to seal the hose, but rather just hold it on. Sorta like suspenders? I'm going to try new line and maybe reuse the factory clamps, at least to see if they work.

Thanks,

John

Capt Ken

Commander

You can use the old clamps if they are not rusted. Or just small wire ties. Either will work. Kinda like that bulge on the end of your you know what. Keeps your hand from flying off.

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can use the old clamps if they are not rusted. Or just small wire ties. Either will work. Kinda like that bulge on the end of your you know what. Keeps your hand from flying off.

OK. I get the picture. One of those mental images...thanks, Ken.

John