not getting fuel into cylinders

towerclimber

Cadet
I have a 86 4cyc. Mercruser that i had running all last year after having new head put on it. 3 weeks ago we started it up and ran for 30 min. Then it just quit. It will turn over i have compression good spark and I'm getting fuel into the Intake. Here's the best part. I'm not getting fuel into the cylinders. I cleaned all the plus and tried to start it with starter fluid and gas then pulled the plugs they are dry as could be. What could it be stopping the fuel from getting into the cylinder?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: not getting fuel into cylinders

Vacuum is what pulls the fuel into the cylinders. If you have a vacuum leak in the intake or carb mounting that will prevent it.

You say you have spark, but do you have it to each spark plug? A bad cap or rotor will prevent spark from going to each plug, but you would still have spark coming out of the coil.

And Thanks for starting your own thread.

towerclimber

Cadet

Yes I'm getting spark on all 4 plus. If i have good compression wouldn't i have good vacuum? I pulled the valve cover and all valves are working.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes I'm getting spark on all 4 plus. If i have good compression wouldn't i have good vacuum? I pulled the valve cover and all valves are working.

Not if you have a huge leak on the intake side.-

towerclimber

Cadet

So if i do the old school trick with starting fluid and spray it around the intake gasket it should tell me right?

towerclimber

Cadet

Don, thanks for all your help. I'll try the trick tomorrow and let you know.

NHGuy

Captain

Starting fluid will tell you more if the motor is running. If you still can't get it to run you might try spraying some soapy solution around the gasket. open the throttle, shoot some compressed air down the carb & then watch for bubbles.

towerclimber

Cadet

Update,
I drained all the fuel that had water in it cleaned out the carburetor changed the ignition coil. it wants to start but it won't. do you think the timing may be out? what should the timing be?