New Cockpit Flooring *pics*

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer
The snap in carpet in my 97 250DA was on it's last legs and I really did not want to spend $600.00 plus for new as I would rather put it in the tank. I started looking at the foam interlocking flooring for like a excercise room or playroom and found a color I liked, Ordered it and installed it today.

Turned out nice and it is really nice & soft on the feet. I filled in the snap holes with 4200 and left about 1/4" margin around the edges, I really like it.Adds a nice contrast to the deck.

Sorry for the crappy pics, They were with my phone but I can get better ones if anyone is interested. I will let you know how it looks after this season.

LK

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Re: New Cockpit Flooring *pics*

What adhesive did you use to install it? It looks very nice!

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks great Alwhite, how much does that stuff weigh? (name change to mostlywhite)?

Alwhite00

No adhesive, Just went wall to wall, I don't forsee a problem with it moving but if it does I will come up with something. It's about 3/8" or a a little thicher and locks together really well. Not sure on the weight but I would say the whole box weighed 5 lbs maybe. I will look on the box for a weight but it was not very heavy.

LK

tpenfield

Staff member

Looks good . . . even with the phuzzy phone pics.

Hai Nhi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks good.

Sorry to hijack: but what's a floor carpet/padding does? Soften your feet? Maybe prevent the heat to bare feet too? Never been out on a boat on a "real" trip yet so I'm just wondering. I still have my carpet, so not sure i should use it or not. :)

Thanks

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got that stuff on the floor of my garage and would not want it in my boat. You may have it wall to wall and it doesn't move now but you get any water under it (and who doesn't get water in a boat) and it will move easier than sliding on ice. Then there are the seams where the panels lock together, that's a laugh. If you spin around on the ball of your foot ( and who doesn't) the panels will stretch and the next thing you know they are not locked together anymore. It's great for standing on and is comfortable but I wouldn't use it anywhere in a boat, your just asking for trouble.

Alwhite00

I've got that stuff on the floor of my garage and would not want it in my boat. You may have it wall to wall and it doesn't move now but you get any water under it (and who doesn't get water in a boat) and it will move easier than sliding on ice. Then there are the seams where the panels lock together, that's a laugh. If you spin around on the ball of your foot ( and who doesn't) the panels will stretch and the next thing you know they are not locked together anymore. It's great for standing on and is comfortable but I wouldn't use it anywhere in a boat, your just asking for trouble.

I am not sure what you have in your garage but the stuff I have seen in a garage was a lot harder than this stuff, Almost plastic - I am sure it is not for everyone but for $65.00 I will take a chance. I guess if you use your garage as a square dance floor you will have issues with this stuff if that is what you have.

LK

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I was thinking of trying out the same tpy of flooring , I'm glad you went 1st so I can see how you like it. If I were concerned about the seams coming loose I would coat the edges with super glue before snaping them in place.
What brand and where did ya get it from?

Alwhite00

Not sure on the brand but I got if from ebay. The seams are really tight, I'll see how it goes this season.

LK

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am not sure what you have in your garage but the stuff I have seen in a garage was a lot harder than this stuff, Almost plastic

What I have in my garage is the same 1/2" thick foam and it is not a hard plastic. I use it in front of my table saw and work bench so I'm not standing on the concrete floor. I've seen it advertised for use in kids play rooms.

I guess if you use your garage as a square dance floor you will have issues with this stuff if that is what you have.

LK

Just normal walking and turning around while working in my garage. Like I said, if you spin around on the ball of your foot, it bunchs up and pulls loose from the panel next to the one you are standing on.

NYBo

Admiral

Interesting idea, and it looks great! I wonder how much water it will absorb, though.

Alwhite00

Just normal walking and turning around while working in my garage. Like I said, if you spin around on the ball of your foot, it bunchs up and pulls loose from the panel next to the one you are standing on.

Do you drive a car on it?

LK

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have used similar tiles outdoors on our patio underneath/around a small pool. They've held up amazingly well. Just a little fade from UV.

Timpg

Cadet
Well it's been a few years since you did this... Do you have any updates? I was thinking about doing something similar with an interlocking rubber carpeted tile.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its been a while since Alwhite even logged on to iboats. He may or may not reply.

Lets see if he does reply before posting anything more. Thanks