1997 Force 120 - Impeller change/part number

tennesseewj

Recruit
Hey Force experts,

Can anyone confirm that the Iboats parts number listed for a 1997 Force 120 is correct despite the listed serial number being incorrect?

I think I'm due an impeller change on a 1997 Force 120 outboard but I've run into some questions.

On Iboats (Force Impeller Kits - iboats) , the parts number listed for a '95-'97 Force 120 is 18-3214 (Sierra). The table also says that these motors should have serial number E093700 and up.

However, the serial number on my motor is E248033, which is consistent with what Crowley marine says it should be (FORCE 120 H.P. - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup). This is the original motor so I know it's a 1997 120hp. I just want to make sure that the part number is correct because it's tournament season and I'd be very irritated if I were down for several days with the wrong part after I take the lower unit apart.

Also, is the write-up in the FAQ for this forum, which is based on a Chrysler unit, similar enough to the Mercury units to use for this change? I've not changed it myself before and I haven't found very much info on it.

Lastly, the boat has recently developed a leak in the power tilt/trim assembly but it seems as though nobody stocks the seals anymore to do a rebuild. Has anyone been able to source these or has everyone just been purchasing a rebuilt cylinder?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 Force 120 - Impeller change/part number

Are you looking for an impeller, or a "water pump kit" ?

According to the iboats site, it should fit. Will it? Don't know.

If buying more than just the impeller, I would get the kit from a Merc dealer like Crowley. Then you know it will be right.

Yes your motor OE248033 is a 1997 model.

The main difference in dropping the gearcase on your motor, is that you do not have to disconnect the shift shaft, as it is a splined sleeve that will slide apart. The location or number of bolts holding the gearcase on, may be different.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Your best bet is go to a Mercury dealer and get the part from them.
Might be a couple of dollars more but you should get the right one.
Take the serial# Model# and the old impeller.
Profile? Location? I see the name,Tennesseewj but someone might be close and can help?

tennesseewj

Recruit

Are you looking for an impeller, or a "water pump kit" ?

According to the iboats site, it should fit. Will it? Don't know.

If buying more than just the impeller, I would get the kit from a Merc dealer like Crowley. Then you know it will be right.

Yes your motor OE248033 is a 1997 model.

The main difference in dropping the gearcase on your motor, is that you do not have to disconnect the shift shaft, as it is a splined sleeve that will slide apart. The location or number of bolts holding the gearcase on, may be different.

I will probably get the whole kit as it will provide fresh gaskets.

Thanks for the confirmation on the serial number and the heads up on the shift shaft. As for purchasing the part from a Mercury dealer....good luck finding one! With the combination of the motor being old and a model that they didn't sell a ton of, there are very few parts still hanging around for this motor. Crowley, for example, does not even list the part anymore.

I will just order the Iboats kit and hope for the best, I have had good luck trusting their parts numbers in the past so hopefully that will hold true again.