Help needed loading boat on trailer

ja6640ke

Cadet
Hello everyone, I'm having a problem getting my boat on the trailer straight. The main problem is that the bow won't line up with the bottom roller. When the trailer is in the water I can't see the bottom roller for the bow to line up and when I try to pull out it goes from side to side. I am thinking about guide on-s but that wont help the problem with the bow being straight. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Help needed loading boat on trailer

When approaching the trailer, keep the bow in line with the winch and supporting stand (assuming you have the trailer the proper depth...not too deep). Winch the boat to the bow catch (NO POWER LOADING!!). When pulling out of the water, start slowly and allow the boat to settle gently and evenly on the trailer.

Having upright PVC guides can indeed help while keeping the boat from drifting side to side. Worst case scenario is to switch to carpeted bunks. I've had both types of trailers and I prefer bunks, but that shouldn't keep you from using rollers. They are good trailers.

ja6640ke

Cadet

When approaching the trailer, keep the bow in line with the winch and supporting stand (assuming you have the trailer the proper depth...not too deep). Winch the boat to the bow catch (NO POWER LOADING!!). When pulling out of the water, start slowly and allow the boat to settle gently and evenly on the trailer.

Having upright PVC guides can indeed help while keeping the boat from drifting side to side. Worst case scenario is to switch to carpeted bunks. I've had both types of trailers and I prefer bunks, but that shouldn't keep you from using rollers. They are good trailers.

Thanks for responding. I have only been boating for 2 years and my first trailer had bunks on it and now I've gotten a little bigger boat and it came with a roller trailer. I had no problem with the bunks, even being new to it.
Do you think I just need practice.
Thanks

petertay

Seaman Apprentice

New to boating last fall, we had the same loading problem. The trailer is in opaque water (Mississippi) and the current is moving the boat. After we added PVC trailer guides it made a BIG difference.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

on a roller trailer if the trailer is not too deep in the water the boat should center itself as you winch it up onto the trailer . you don't powerload onto a roller trailer.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Don't dunk the trailer so deeply. Once you get the boat started on the trailer, you can always back the trailer in a little to make winching easier.

C.O.L.

Seaman Apprentice

dont put the trailer in so far. i was having the same problems

airshot

Rear Admiral

Having the trailer in to far sounds about right, you should be able to see that forward roller for lining up the keel when you approach the winch stand. And yes do get the side guides, they are going to make it so much easier.

Airshot

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The sides guides will not help in any way loading your boat, its only helps under windy conditions, thats its. The trick here is not to dunk the trailer. Personally I dont like the guides. IMHO

I found the first few time i had to set the throttle to very slow ( just enoght to steer) then kinda squat in the middle of the boat then i found it easy to line myself, the bow point of the boat and the front roller of the trailer. I could still reach the throttle and you have to keep the safety lanyard on. Now i know where im meant to be aiming for i can do it from the driving seat (low down bass boat so you loose sight of the trailer when you have a few feet to go)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

ALSO if you are going to sight for center while sitting on the right and looking t the winch post you will end up too far to the right every time... moving your head to the center of the boat works wonders but if you can't do that then line up with the left tail light instead of the winch post OR whatever point on the tow vehicle that actually puts you in the center when you hit the trailer

AND as stated above you are backing in way too far... try putting the rear rollers JUST under water.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer

The sides guides will not help in any way loading your boat, its only helps under windy conditions, thats its. The trick here is not to dunk the trailer. Personally I dont like the guides. IMHO

Can only agree to this for a roller trailer (had one for the last boat) and a deeper V boat. On the shallow and side hanging ramp I boat from you won't even get the boat half up straight at any time. With the side bunks I just installed I made a dozen test runs and it always ended up straight.

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Can only agree to this for a roller trailer (had one for the last boat) and a deeper V boat. On the shallow and side hanging ramp I boat from you won't even get the boat half up straight at any time. With the side bunks I just installed I made a dozen test runs and it always ended up straight.

Again, trailer guides only helps under windy conditions or heavy cuurrent, otherwise is likes need training wheel for kids bikes.....

ja6640ke

Cadet

Thanks for all the advice.
I will try not to back the trailer in so far and see how that works.

Schultzz

Cadet

"moving your head to the center of the boat works wonders'

Great advice.

etracer68

Ensign

I have a roller trailer, and no problems. I also have PVC posts at the rear, they will keep the stern lined up. If you cant see the bow roller, year in too deep. They also sell centering bow rollers, here at IBoats.

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

you don't powerload onto a roller trailer.

I have never used a roller trailer so this is pure curiosity. Why can't you powerload on a roller?

ALSO... I know many people have a problem with powerloading in general. I have heard your opinion. This debate has been had many times. Save it!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I've powerloaded onto a roller trailer hundreds of times at less than 1/4 throttle... then drop to idle till the winch cable is attached and snugged