Toon's rear sits too deep

Triphammer

Seaman
I know this has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything in Search. My 20ft 1989 LOWE pontoon sits very low in the rear. I Know the motor is oversized, I bought it that way & I'm not buying a smaller one. Has anybody ever tried adding floatation to the rear of their 'toon other than a thrid log?

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Toon's rear sits too deep

What shape of extra flotation would be more efficient/effective than a third log?

Triphammer

Seaman

What shape of extra flotation would be more efficient/effective than a third log?

Don't know that anything else might be more effiecient, just wondering if anybody has tried anything else. Single toons are hard to find in the Arizona desert and they're expensive no matter where you find them. I'd either have to have it buy a whole boat & throw 2/3s of it away or ship cross country.

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you asking as the toon is sitting or underway at high throttle?

Perhaps move some weight forward--

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You could try shifting weight forward, I am sure you have the gas , batteries and the engine all in the back 3' of the boat.

Obviously the engine has to stay so move the gas and bats, won't solve the problem completely but may help.

A water glide is at the front of the boat and wouldn't help this situation I don't think.

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You mention the motor is oversized for the boat....you are ok with creating an unsafe situation?

Triphammer

Seaman

You mention the motor is oversized for the boat....you are ok with creating an unsafe situation?

The boat's rated 90 hp I'm @125. So he difference isn't huge. I've noticed many, if not most, pontoon boats site "rear low". While motor & fuel are in the rear, both my batts. are in the helm. My 30 gal ice chest & 20 gal live well are up front.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you check for any leaks? Maybe you have water in the rear toons?
Also if you have smaller diameter toons there might not be much you can do

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While you may think it isn't that big a deal, you are violating not only your insurance contract (if you have the boat insured) as well as probably several laws in your state. Boats are rated for motor size and capacity for very important reasons and to disregard those ratings, you put yourself, your passengers and other boaters at risk.

Triphammer

Seaman

Did you check for any leaks? Maybe you have water in the rear toons?
Also if you have smaller diameter toons there might not be much you can do

They are U shaped toons so while 25" deep they are only 19" wide. I'm thinking that's my biggest problem.
I had been thinking about a pair of outrigger type pontoons that I could lower while at rest but I'm given to fits of mechanical fancy so I wanted to get so input as to what has been tried.

I did drain about a quart of water from the port toon & about a pint from the starboard toon last year atfer the season. These are foam filled logs and I dont think they are sectioned. There's only one drain in each at the rear.

Anyway, guys, thanks for your thoughts.

Jim

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Hopefully you don't have waterlogged foam. Have you considered that possibility?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Jim, what kind of performance do you get right now? Speed seem to be about what you'd expect?

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

The boat's rated 90 hp I'm @125.

Yeah, that won't matter, until you're in a boating accident, and you are immediately assumed to be "at fault" by the insurance company, and they drop you like a hot potato. And for the "Water Glide is in the front" guy, that is incorrect.

waterGlideLrg.gif

Triphammer

Seaman

Hopefully you don't have waterlogged foam. Have you considered that possibility?

I've considered that. I don't know how waterlogged styrofoam (Beadboard) can get. From the little I can feel through the drain holes, it does feel slightly damp. As I've mentioned, I drained a small amount of water last year, boats been out a few times since & no liquid water as of last week. The plugs had been in, tight & sealed, since last year and nowhere for the moisture to evaporate to.

Triphammer

Seaman

Jim, what kind of performance do you get right now? Speed seem to be about what you'd expect?

Prop computer calls for 27 with my 11p x14 prop. I'm getting 20 (GPS) w/ 4 adults & fishing gear. I used to run a 14x 13 3/4" prop but slip was so bad I only got 17 - 19MPH same load. WOT with the old prop was low 3800 - 4100. I'm running 4800 to 5100 now.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

125 on a twenty footer should get you a lot more than that. Have you weighed your rig?

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

Prop computer calls for 27 with my 11p x14 prop. I'm getting 20 (GPS) w/ 4 adults & fishing gear. I used to run a 14x 13 3/4" prop but slip was so bad I only got 17 - 19MPH same load. WOT with the old prop was low 3800 - 4100. I'm running 4800 to 5100 now.

That does NOT seem right! I've got a 24' tritoon that weighs 3,000 pounds, and I'm getting 23-24 MPG (GPS) at 6,000 RPM using a 13.75 Dia X 13 pitch prop on my 115 - which only puts out about 90-95 HP at the elevations I run.