old Johnson oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobi-1-kenobi

Recruit
I have a 1964 Johnson Seahorse, model MQ-10R. This motor leaks lower-unit lube from the prop shaft area. I've read through my Seloc manual to remove the lower unit. Having removed the four bolts that hold the unit on, it drops down about 1/2 inch, not far enough to get a socket in there to loosen the lower bolt on the shift rod coupler. The manual says it should drop about an inch. It also says there may be a pin in the drive shaft that would need to be lined up with something in the housing. Not sure if this motor has that. Any advise would be greatly appriciated.

james__12345

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: old Johnson oil leak

Is it in neutral? If so, try putting it in reverse and see if that drops the lower enough to get to the shift rod coupler.

kobi-1-kenobi

Recruit
Re: old Johnson oil leak

I've tried it in forward, reverse and neutral. No go. I even disconnected the shift rod from the shifter lever linkage under the flywheel , no help there either.

AlTn

Commander
look for the New Topic rectangle highlighted in blue < small >..upper left hand corner..beginning of the Forum page

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??----Is the 9.5 a long shaft ?----Never had an issue in getting at the bolt on the coupler on one of these motors.-Worked on lots of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.