testing interruptor switch via test light

fieromx3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well i discovered the shift interruptor switches were not connected on my boat (i havent even had this boat on the water yet) before i take my boat on the water for the first time with new engine and outdrive i want these switches connected.

i have read what they do and why it is beneficial but what i do not understand is this: the switch is supposed to activate and ground the coil out to stall engine momentarily but what i do not understand is when my shifter is in neutral the switch is 'off' and does not have a complete circuit and when shifted in gear all the way to WOT the circuit is open and grounds the coil.

from pictures i have seen the little rollers on the switch is right in the middle of the lever groove and so is mine.

i disconnected the switches and attached 1 wire to the ground and connected my test light to the positive battery terminal. in neutral the light is not illuminated. from 1/3 in either FWD or Reverse all the way to WOT the light is illuminated.
i do not understand how to set up the switched so it kills the engine only when desired. does someone have a link or anything how to test these switches and set them up???

fieromx3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: testing interruptor switch via test light

hmmm after alot and alot of research i found a page that may just explain everything!!! i hope. i will try it and if i have problems i will update

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: testing interruptor switch via test light

if the switch is operating on land you need a new lower shift cable.It operates only in gear, in the water, trying to come OUT of gear.
The mounting plate uses 1 screw for the ground ,the other screw is isolated.http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6C1R3.PDF