Stubborn Steering cable attaching nut question

53Rick

Recruit
I'm new to the forum. I have a 1987 25hp mercury outboard with the old Ride-Guide rotary disk type steering cable. The cable is locked up solid. I disconnected the steering link rod and the motor will turn freely, so I know it is the steering cable. I have tried everything I know of to remove the steering cable attaching nut, but it will not budge. The two tilt tube nuts are as tight as they will go (to the point where they actually feel stripped up against the tilt tube sleeves). When I try to turn the cable attaching nut, the entire tilt tube threaded bolt turns as does the steering cable. I am assuming that the cable attaching nut has to be removed in order to remove the steering cable. The manual isn't much help, but it does say the cable must be fully retracted into the cable housing when being lubricated or hydraulic lock may occur. Hydraulic lock may be the problem due to the way it was last lubricated. What can be done to eliminate hydraulic lock if that is the case? Also, I have noticed over the past several years that there was a brown fluid leaking from the rotary guide disk under the steering wheel. Last summer I put the boat in the water and the steering was frozen. I cranked on the steering wheel and it broke loose and started operating fine from that point on. Any help would be appreciated. Am I missing something?