fuel pump filter (stone) or whatever you call it

joelogan

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1988 Mercruiser 4.3 with a fuel pump with the fuel filter bowl on the top of the fuel pump. It has a stone like filter.
I have ordered the correct part number and received a fiber filter with a shorter spring and different gaskets than what is on mine. I received part number 9-37821 (Mallory) from iboats and part number 35-8M0046751 from Mercury. They are both the same, but I cannot get them to work on my pump. Any help will be great. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: fuel pump filter (stone) or whatever you call it

I have a 1988 Mercruiser 4.3 with a fuel pump with the fuel filter bowl on the top of the fuel pump. It has a stone like filter.
I have ordered the correct part number and received a fiber filter with a shorter spring and different gaskets than what is on mine. I received part number 9-37821 (Mallory) from iboats and part number 35-8M0046751 from Mercury. They are both the same, but I cannot get them to work on my pump. Any help will be great. Thanks

Ayuh,.... Why can't ya get it to work right,..??

The ceramic stone, 'n the element cartridge should interchange, Easily...

joelogan

Seaman Apprentice
Re: fuel pump filter (stone) or whatever you call it

Ayuh,.... Why can't ya get it to work right,..??

The ceramic stone, 'n the element cartridge should interchange, Easily...

Are you saying this is the replacement? The cartridge is shorter and does not seal when I put the bowl on and falls over to the side. Also one of the gaskets will not fit anything that I can find. What is the exact way this is put in the bowl?
Maybe I am missing something here. The element has to have the opening into the pump.
Thanks for trying to help me. I appreciate it.