a couple questions.

Chrism77

Seaman
I have read a bunch on this and it just confused me more. I am going to put in two batteries. One I have to run all the aux stuff is a deep cycle 29 series battery. Do I want the same for the motor battery? The other question I have is on the switch. I get the first and second battery part of the switch to switch between batteries. There is also a hook up for an alternator is this the common? If I have it set to both batteries and have the motor lead on the common am I putting 24 volts to the motor? Also how do I hook up the load section of it? I can switch between batteries but how do I wire everything through the switch?

Chrism77

Seaman
Re: a couple questions.

The way I understand it is all loads are on the com on the switch then I can switch to whatever battery I want to draw off of correct?

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

There's some great wiring diagrams in the Sticky section at the top of this forum. I had to study them a while to "get it" but they were very helpful.
If I understand, you want a spare batt to run all accessories without the risk of draining your main for starting? I'm pretty sure you can run different amperage batteries as long as the voltage is the same (12). That's how I have mine setup and I think it's a common way to wire up the two. I used a Perko switch and followed their diagrams as well as the ones I found here. Don S is the go-to guy in this department.

Chrism77

Seaman

I think I do understand them now. I am kind of worried about the FUBAR part of it, I have the same switch as you and pretty sure the third post is com.. but if I have it set to both batt am I putting 24 v to everything?

I have read a bunch on this and it just confused me more. I am going to put in two batteries. One I have to run all the aux stuff is a deep cycle 29 series battery. Do I want the same for the motor battery? The other question I have is on the switch. I get the first and second battery part of the switch to switch between batteries. There is also a hook up for an alternator is this the common? If I have it set to both batteries and have the motor lead on the common am I putting 24 volts to the motor? Also how do I hook up the load section of it? I can switch between batteries but how do I wire everything through the switch?

hmmmm trying to think of a easy way with out sounding stupied.
Imagine holding the positive from battery one in your right hand, in the left hand you have the positive of battery 2 and in front of you theres a post that runs the boat including the motor. if you touch the post with your right hand the boat and motor get power from battery one. If you touch the post with your left hand the boat gets power from battery 2. Now if you touch the post with both hands at the same time the boat gets power from both batteries.

Notice that only the positive sides of the batteries are used at the switch so it will never be more than 12v

i hope that doesnt sound dumb but it made sense in my head :embarassed:

Chrism77

Seaman

I do understand what your saying. But let me see if I can confuse myself even more. I get the both positives are only used. But if I want the motor to start off either battery I need to connect the two ground posts as well. Then if I have the switch set to both that is 24 v correct? Or if I just want the first battery to start the motor And the second to run everything else I would not connect the grounds then what is the point of the switch? I hope that did not sound dumb or way wrong.

Chrism77

Seaman

I guess I think as long as I don't have the switch set to both I would be OK?

I do understand what your saying. But let me see if I can confuse myself even more. I get the both positives are only used. But if I want the motor to start off either battery I need to connect the two ground posts as well. Then if I have the switch set to both that is 24 v correct? Or if I just want the first battery to start the motor And the second to run everything else I would not connect the grounds then what is the point of the switch? I hope that did not sound dumb or way wrong.

if you connect the grounds of 2 batteries and the positives of 2 batteries you make one big battery that will only be 12v. It doesnt matter if you connect 100 batteries negative to neagative and positive to positive it will only be 12v

DO NOT CONNECT positive to negative as that will add the voltage together and make 24v

you are using 2 batteries to give yourself options so connect everything on the boat including the motor to the common terminal. then if you turn the switch to number one you will run on number one battery. If you go to crank the motor and its flat then turn to number 2 and start the motor. Dual is only when you are running long distance so the motor will charge both or you are real in deep crap and you have run both sides flat and your hoping that between them they have just enoght juice to start the engine.

chrism lots of people realy struggle with electrical as its something they can not see. I think the only way you would fell good about what you are doing is to buy a voltmeter for a few bucks from walmart (cheap works fine) then get a couple of AAA batteries and play with them on the bench. Seeing something on paper means you have to trust the person who tells you it works that way. Testing on a bench to prove to yourself how it works is always the best way plus its a fun way to learn.

Chrism77

Seaman

if you connect the grounds of 2 batteries and the positives of 2 batteries you make one big battery that will only be 12v. It doesnt matter if you connect 100 batteries negative to neagative and positive to positive it will only be 12v

DO NOT CONNECT positive to negative as that will add the voltage together and make 24v

That makes sense now! OK I get it now! Thank you for your help!