Female here trying to restore boat for hubby

Djennings

Cadet
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Trying to restore this boat for my hubby, what Needs to be done first? It is a old fiberglass one.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Female here trying to restore boat for hubby

Welcome, Djennings and hats off to you for even considering such a problem. My wife is still trying to figure out how to back up the trailer!
More pics would be helpful. You are on THE SITE for assistance in such an undertaking but we need more data. Make/model of boat, age, engine etc etc. PICS girl! :)

lmao first post included pictures it normally takes a man 20 posts and 15 questions just to get this far. A few more pics from further back and any details on the motor would realy help.

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Give it up, can't be done, stop now and hire a MAN to do the job!!!! Okay Okay, calm down....I'M KIDDING LOL :lol: I think this is great! Plenty of good folks here to help with any questions you have, I know they have helped me out plenty! First off get rid of anything that is rotten or broken that won't be reused so you can get a good assessment of what all needs to be done.

Djennings

Cadet

Give it up, can't be done, stop now and hire a MAN to do the job!!!! Okay Okay, calm down....I'M KIDDING LOL :lol: I think this is great! Plenty of good folks here to help with any questions you have, I know they have helped me out plenty! First off get rid of anything that is rotten or broken that won't be reused so you can get a good assessment of what all needs to be done.
Actually worked on rigs gutting the insides and putting back together, a welder also, did plumbing on the rigs too. Love to fish, hunt and hate to shop LOL. will take more pics tomorrow, not sure what type is but once you see full picture you will probably know

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Does he KNOW how lucky he IS???????
What kind of boat is she? Size? Year? MFG? Details and more pics will really help us to help you, and we WILL help!!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

A huge and hearty welcome, Djennings...And a tip of the 'ol hat to the Luckiest Man on Earth!
I certainly hope he realizes what a fortunate individual he is...
As has been mentioned, we'll need more pics and as much info as you can give us one what you are getting ready to tackle...then we'll be able to come aboard and get you all the info you'll need to get going...:)

Djennings

Cadet

Here is the pictures, there was no markings or anything on the boat and no title. BUT, it still had TX numbers on it. Went to a sight and typed in the TX numbers and find it. LOL 1970 make: Terry length: 14' have the serial number and title number too. So will mailing him a form so I can get a title, hasn't been active since 1992 LOL

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

While I and probably all of the Resto members here at Iboats will appreciate your desire to do something like this for your Hubby .. I would suggest something else ..

Tires,Engine,Fishing Gear and beer.

I would foresee some money in this resto. Probably much more $ than what you could do in other ways ..

Just make sure it floats and rides safely .. then go have some fun on the water.

Save up your $ for something with a more .. Cushion :)

YD.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Actually worked on rigs gutting the insides and putting back together, a welder also, did plumbing on the rigs too. Love to fish, hunt and hate to shop LOL.

My wife wants to burn my boat (much less restore it for me)... Our next dry dock project: We must clone her!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Man, my wife won't even help me on placement of of a nav light switch much less hook it up !
Dj your hubby is a lucky dude ..
Pmc it's a good thing ya got a tin boat .. Less easy to burn ! :rolleyes:

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class

From one novice female boat repairman to another: you can do anything you make up your mind to do! And THIS is the best place in the world to get advice. Wonderful folks on here that are the closest thing you can get to having your dad looking over your shoulder giving advice and handing you tools. :) Don't give up on it because it looks kinda gimpy..my restore is a 1963 aluminum 14 footer. Didn't have a motor for it and got a vintage '56 Johnson Javelin for $500. I knew NOTHING about motors, zero, zip, until I came on here and also looked up how to do stuff on YouTube (I need to SEE what to do rather than just read it). I'm behind you 100%...you can do this! Your husband is a lucky guy. Mine doesn't care for the whole boating thing and his gift to me is to stay out of my way :)

Djennings

Cadet

First thing I am going to do is rip the control wires out, apparently it had some weird side panel control to drive it. Then I will gently pressure wash it. Then I will flip it over and start on bottom. What is the best grit sand paper to use?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That's called a Stick Steer System. I used to have one just like it. They work pretty well so you might hang onto it for a while just in case you decide to use it later on. I'd recommend your first order of business be to check the transom, deck and stringer system. That's the Heart of the boat and boats of this vintage usually have issues with these. If so this will entail a LOT of demolition and restoration work.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I totally agree with 'Wood', you should definitely check the guts of the boat to be sure of what you actually have on your hands before getting into anything cosmetic...
If the underlying wooden substructure is rotten, you will need to take care of that first...
A good pressure cleaning is not a bad idea... I wouldn't even worry too much about it being gentle, as a matter of fact, I would rather find out from a good pressure cleaning if the surface of the boat is solid or in need of refinishing...I don't mean that you should blast it to within an inch of its life, as some pressure cleaners can actually cut into concrete...Just give it a good once over to look for lifting/peeling paint, if it is painted or to get a good look at the condition of the gel coat...

NoSkillz

Seaman

Looks exactly like my renter's boat. His is left outside year round and is extremely solid, go figure. Good luck!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

First thing I am going to do is rip the control wires out, apparently it had some weird side panel control to drive it. Then I will gently pressure wash it. Then I will flip it over and start on bottom. What is the best grit sand paper to use?

I agree with the 2 above posts, you seem more concerned with the cosmetics of the boat which really aren't that important.

The structural components need to be inspected and repaired before any cosmetic work, this will entail lots of dirty work. Removing the decking, digging out foam, cutting out stringers and transom and then replacing it all... then comes the cosmetic work.

If you try to make the boat look pretty before she is seaworthy you'll just end up messing up the paint and have to redo it... kind of like putting makeup on and then taking a shower before going out to dinner.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I believe this is a "Tub" constructed boat, meaning the side walls and floor(deck) are all one piece. I also believe the sidewalls and below the deck are all foam filled. If so you will need to ensure the foam is not waterlogged. If it is it will all need to be removed and replaced. YD is correct about one thing. There are probably a lot of other better candidates out there for a 1st boat/1st restoration than this one. Stick Steer is not that desirable and a boat with a steering wheel is more desirable as well. This style of boat is NOT an easy one to restore.
Just some food for thought.;)

Decker83

Commander

Here is the pictures, there was no markings or anything on the boat and no title. BUT, it still had TX numbers on it. Went to a sight and typed in the TX numbers and find it. LOL 1970 make: Terry length: 14' have the serial number and title number too. So will mailing him a form so I can get a title, hasn't been active since 1992 LOL

Before I spent any money on the boat, make sure you have a title in hand.. Friscoboater put some information about getting a title
in Texas and it is almost impossible without the owner's signature..

BTW it's great have you here on i-boats..

Djennings

Cadet

Well I checked the transom and definitely rotten, so will have to deal with that. Will check the rest this weekend. I called about what I needed to do about title and as long as I do everything I can to find owner, I should be able to get the title. So I found original owners address back in 1992 and certified a letter after making copies and sent off. They said if it gets returned then I have done what I can to find them.