Water in lower leg normal? Force 120

smoky joe

Cadet
Hello!
I just purchased a 1993 Bayliner Capri in really good shape but when I had the boat on the lake today I noticed water filled up the lower leg of the outboard (about even with lake water line) it is far from powerhead but I was just wondering if this is normal? When I tilt the engine it drains out quickly but comes right back in. Engine is also a 1993 force 120. Also replacing the rectifier/regulator with the universal one people talk about on this forum, is that a good choice for this motor? Mine was fried when I bought it. Thanks for any help!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Water in lower leg normal? Force 120

Yes it is normal for water to fill up the lower leg to the water line.

Just be careful with how you wire up he universal rectifier/regulator. The color coding of the wires may not be what it seems. I think that there was someone that purchased one and ruined it because they wired it up wrong.

Rope Goat

Cadet

Smoky joe-
When I bought my boat 7 years ago, equipped with a 120 also, I was definitely more than surprised to see the water in the lower unit leg. My trusty mech assured me it's no issue.
I always make sure to hose it out real well after I run in salt water (after letting it cool down!!). No problems.
Good luck with your rectifier. I refer constantly to the Clymer manual while doing any repairs.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

CDI Electronics supplies most aftermarket electronics.
They usually come with instructions on replacing.
Kinda makes you wonder why it went bad?
A bad connection or loose ground can cause em to go bad??

smoky joe

Cadet

I appreciate the info on the water in the lower leg....it did kind of surprise me but im fairly new to bigger outboards. I recieved the new rectifier/regulator but have not had to to wire it in yet, I will post if I got it working or not! Not sure why it was fried but motor was rebuilt due to an overheat by the previous owner so im hoping it just fried due to excess heat? Thanks again!