1997 90 HP Evinrude ELEUA

mattmotors

Recruit
I just want to share the troubles I was having and how I fixed them .The troubles started after the engine was about 14 years old.
My problem was hard starting but I found it was really 2 issues. My Bendix was not always engaging into the the teeth of the fly wheel, they would grind. I replaced my battery and it helped a little, but still was not resolved. I found that the starter was the problem. the bushings were worn allowing the armature to hit the magnets slowing it down. The starter didn't sound bad but after inspection, I saw the scuff marks. Replaced the starter and that took care of the Bendix not engaging.
Now for my next problem. I would crank the engine over, The engine would pop and kick the Bendix out. My engine would not start, but the starter would still be spinning. (I saw other posts about this.) It would take me for ever to get it started. Once it was warm, it was fine. (The marina had it, no problem found) What I found is that my timing was way off. I have optical ignition so I needed the special tool. Found one on Ebay. I set my timing according to spec. That took care of the Bendix kicking out. Because my engine is a 1997, I went and replaced the VRO pump and all the hoses. Now this is how I start my 1997 90 HP evinrude. 1. squeeze primer bulb till hard. 2. Turn the key on and let the system check cycle thru its test. 3. Press the key in and hold for 20 seconds. This allows the primer solenoid to open up and send fuel to the intake manifold 4. Turn the key to start and it starts up like it did the day I bought it. I guess if you want things fixed, sometimes you have to do it yourself. I hope this information will help. Thanks for reading, Matt.