1976 35HP Johnson No Start/ Back Fires on Cranking

qcarlson

Seaman
I have a 1976 35HP 35EL76G Johnson Backfires on Cranking, Wont Start, Cleaned Carb, Adjusted Timeing per spec , Has Great Spark, Pulled Flywheel Checked Gap on points .020, Still wont start, the throttle shaft on this motor is missing the back metel bushing where it is fastened to the block but other than that??????
Fuel is getting to carb, Replaced all leaking fuel lines Have Fuel Air and Spark.....Just bewildered. Should Mention both cyl @ 120 PSI on Comp Test...

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1976 35HP Johnson No Start/ Back Fires on Cranking

Are the spark plug wires reversed, the top wire has a small metal clip on it.

qcarlson

Seaman

No that was my first thought...

Will Bark

Lieutenant

What about the flywheel key?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did you torque the flywheel properly when you put it back on ??

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

All of my motors have points...so I'm not able to help you out.

How did you set the timing?

qcarlson

Seaman

All of my motors have points...so I'm not able to help you out.

How did you set the timing?

Using these steps I synced the Motor as for the Timing it needs to be running @ 3500RPM this wont Give me 1RPM I Did however make sure that when Cyl 1 is @TDC The fly wheel Mark is at 0

The "C" Location Note1

C1 - Powerheads referenced in the Chart to the C Primary Pick-up Location are to be adjusted to the CENTER of the mark. To obtain this 1position, the cam, or the cam follower, (depending the type of engine being serviced), is to be adjusted until pickup is at the proper location and the throttle shaft just begins to move.

C2 - Movement of the shaft can be exaggerated by attaching a short piece of stiff wire to an alligator clip; grinding down the teeth on one side of the clip; and then attaching the clip to the throttle shaft, as shown. The wire jiggling will instantly indicate movement of the shaft.

The actual adjustment is accomplished by ONLY ONE of two means, depending on the powerhead being serviced. Check the Chart for the adjustment procedures to be performed. The reference numbers are listed in the Chart under Primary Pick-up Adjustment Note.

AFTER the pick-up adjustment note has been obtained from the Chart, perform ONE of the following numbered procedures with the matching note number from the Chart.

C3 - per Note 1 in the Chart, loosen the 2 screws under the armature plate and move the primary pick-up inward or outward to meet the follower.

jbjennings

Captain

If it's backfiring, then it must either be timing or lack of fuel. Since you have verified that the flywheel key is o.k. and spark is good, it must be fuel. I'm thinking the flywheel torque should not be 100ft-lbs., but I didn't check and could be wrong. I was thinking it was about 60 or 65 foot-lbs. Either way, I'd squirt a little fuel oil mix in the cylinders after removing the spark plugs and see if it would run a second or two. If so, it's either reeds blocked open a little by trash, or the fuel bowl isn't filling due to a stuck float needle. That's about all I can think of. I'm thinking the '76 35hp has some known annoying problems. I'll see if I can refresh my memory and post back. YOur compression is good. That's about all I can think of....
JBJ

qcarlson

Seaman

If it's backfiring, then it must either be timing or lack of fuel. Since you have verified that the flywheel key is o.k. and spark is good, it must be fuel. I'm thinking the flywheel torque should not be 100ft-lbs., but I didn't check and could be wrong. I was thinking it was about 60 or 65 foot-lbs. Either way, I'd squirt a little fuel oil mix in the cylinders after removing the spark plugs and see if it would run a second or two. If so, it's either reeds blocked open a little by trash, or the fuel bowl isn't filling due to a stuck float needle. That's about all I can think of. I'm thinking the '76 35hp has some known annoying problems. I'll see if I can refresh my memory and post back. YOur compression is good. That's about all I can think of....
JBJ

According to Seloc it should be 1200-1400 Inch lbs which would be 100LBS + so I think that's correct

qcarlson

Seaman

Well turned out to be a combination of a bad return spring on the spark advance armature, a broken wire to on of the points that was simply touching inside the ring terminal and the coil wires leading to the plugs were reversed. God only knows how many people tinkered with this prior to me. but the battle is won...