Engine dying at high RPM UNDER LOAD.

mboudre1

Cadet
I have been having trouble with my engine dying at high RPM under load ever since I purchased my boat 2 years ago. 1994 4.3LX Mercruiser I/O carbed with electric fuel pump. It runs great in the driveway, I just set the timing, it was off by 12 degrees!!!! It has more power than ever :). To diagnose the problem, i put a clear vinyl line between the pump and carb and can see there is a surge of air bubbles if i keep it at 3000 rpm under load in the water for 20seconds or so, then the engine stumbles, i have to back off the throttle a little and the boat starts going again....I checked all my fittings, double clamped all my lines, cant hear or detect an air leak. My question is, could the pump be bad or could it be a carb float issue that can cause air bubbles like that. I will post a video of the problem. I was told to use thicker gauge wire for my pump since it was rigged by the previous owner who also bypassed the oil pressure switch. help pleasee :)!!! It really sux when I'm trying to water ski.

Boat Engine dies under load high rpm - YouTube

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Engine dying at high RPM UNDER LOAD.

I have been having trouble with my engine dying at high RPM under load ever since I purchased my boat 2 years ago. 1994 4.3LX Mercruiser I/O carbed with electric fuel pump. It runs great in the driveway, I just set the timing, it was off by 12 degrees!!!! It has more power than ever :). To diagnose the problem, i put a clear vinyl line between the pump and carb and can see there is a surge of air bubbles if i keep it at 3000 rpm under load in the water for 20seconds or so, then the engine stumbles, i have to back off the throttle a little and the boat starts going again....I checked all my fittings, double clamped all my lines, cant hear or detect an air leak. My question is, could the pump be bad or could it be a carb float issue that can cause air bubbles like that. I will post a video of the problem. I was told to use thicker gauge wire for my pump since it was rigged by the previous owner who also bypassed the oil pressure switch. help pleasee :)!!! It really sux when I'm trying to water ski.

Boat Engine dies under load high rpm - YouTube

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Have ya changed the Fuel Filters,..??

The carb is downstream of the bubbles, so it ain't causin' 'em...
The fuel pumps runs on 12v, I don't think the wire gauge is the issue,...

Is the Tank, willin' to give up it's load,..??
Is the standpipe clear, 'n to the bottom,..??
Is the anti-siphon valve at the outlet plugged with crud,..??
Is the tank Vent clear,..??

Hook up a remote tank to the fuel filter, 'n try it....

mboudre1

Cadet

What is the stand pipe. is it the pick up tube in the tank, because the stupid thing is welded to the aluminum tank :S. I haven't changed the fuel filter yet and the anti-siphon valve is not stuck nor full of crud. The tank vent is clear. I Will change the filter and if that fails, will get a remote tank. I sure hope its not the tank because that thing will be a PITA to get out. thanks

Bondo

Staff member

What is the stand pipe. is it the pick up tube in the tank, because the stupid thing is welded to the aluminum tank :S. I haven't changed the fuel filter yet and the anti-siphon valve is not stuck nor full of crud. The tank vent is clear. I Will change the filter and if that fails, will get a remote tank. I sure hope its not the tank because that thing will be a PITA to get out. thanks

Ayuh,.... Inspect it's Contents for water, before ya toss it...