Johnson 150 vro alarms

rgray0608

Cadet
So I reading through lots of posts, trying to soak up info as to not ask questions that have already been asked. I just bought this boat..1988 Vision 180 w/ Johnson 150 GT VRO. When I turn key on it gives a little buzz, alarm? Is that telling me alarms are hooked up? Where can I find temp sensors? Is there one for the oil pump as well? Do they sound the same as to identify where problem is coming from? Ordered manual.. Tis in the mail. Thanks!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 150 vro alarms

That initial beep is to let you know that the warning horn works.

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

rgray0608

Cadet

Thank you very much, I will print this and keep it with my manual..in the boat! I have never had or heard of a warning horn until this boat. Thank you again.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it is a single beep when the key is turned on, it is normal. It tells you that the warning horn is working.

To test the alarm system. Start the engine. You will find the heat sensors on the heads, ground the tan wire. It it buzzes, the system is connected properly. It doesnt tell you if the sensors are accurate though. Put oil in the gas, disconnect the oil hose from the oil pump. After about a minute and a half it should sound an alarm. This tells you the oil sensor is connected properly and is working as it should.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If you disconnect the oil line, you will need to prime the VRO properly before you reconnect it to purge the line of air.

I used to check the VRO sensor simply by clamping the oil line shut close to the engine with vice grips. Then, when the alarm came on (beep every other second), I released the vice grip, applied a slight pressure to the oil bulb, the alarm stopped beeping... done.