frothing

Freeman79

Cadet
I am testing my 62 johnson 10 hp in a barrel. I noticed the barrel getting "frothy" so I figured my lower unit was leaking. I check the oil and it is full and clean. Where is this oil coming from? Also, when I shift to forward thrust, the handle vibrates in my hand and does dot ingage the prop. Obviously something geared is slipping but does anyone know what it probably is?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: frothing

That is a 2 cycle motor right? You mix some oil with the gasoline, and not all of it burns, hence the froth....

rothfm

Ensign

AHh, you should see the "froth" on the barrel when running my older 115.....FROTH for sure. Normal

Also, when I shift to forward thrust, the handle vibrates in my hand and does dot ingage the prop. Obviously something geared is slipping but does anyone know what it probably is?

Quite possibly an adjustment issue, maybe shift rod height is off. OR.... clutch dog and/or forward gear is messed up.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

To partly remedy the "froth" squirt a bit of liquid soap in the barrel, breaks up some of the unburned oily fuel residue

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Also, when I shift to forward thrust, the handle vibrates in my hand and does dot ingage the prop. Obviously something geared is slipping but does anyone know what it probably is?

Frothing already explained.
Forward gear issue is likely a linkeage or lower unit problem.