Solex 44PA1 Carb Problems

City4392

Cadet
I have a 80's Bayliner Capri that we are trying to get running. It's a aq131a with the Solex 44pa1 carburetor. Rebuilt and cleaned the crap out of the carb but it still won't stay running. Cleaned the points, bought new coil, new plugs and wires. Adjusted jets and everything, looks like it's dumping too much fuel into the carb. Any ideas on where to go from here? Was looking into buying a used carb but couldn't find any on ebay. I'm not a mechanic by any means but my brother is and has been helping me with this project. Unfortunately he's even at a loss as to what to do because he hasn't touched a carb in years. I'd appreciate ANY input or ideas because at this point I'm about to put this thing at the bottom of the nearest lake!

Thanks,
Melissa

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Solex 44PA1 Carb Problems

Have you checked the timing belt and cam timing? Set the distributor dwell and timing as well. Did you adjust the mixture screw according to the manual? The idle mixture initial setting is different for the overhead cam engines than it is for the pushrod engines. Not sure what you men about cleaning the carbureator. All passages need to be verified clear with compressed air. Did you use a kit or just clean the carb without total disassembly?

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Solex 44PA1 Carb Problems

The one thing that jumps out to me is, I cleaned the points. What do you have the dwell set at where is the base timing what is the total advance? These engines are extremely sensitive to tuning.