Gas stains on swim platform

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
I guess we didn't have the gas cap tightened down. Boat sat on the trailer at the marina and this is what we have now. Tried using a cleaner...no luck. Any ideas how to get this stain off?

68db88fe-0467-42f8-be63-788343107c8d_zps9af59148.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Gas stains on swim platform

Try some "On & Off". Or even some soft scrub with bleach.

Good luck.

YD.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Man that bites. I've ran into this in the past and it's a PITA to deal with. The thing of it is that it's not a surface stain. Gasoline is thin enough it permeates the porous surface of gel coat and the orange dye in gasoline does a great job of dying the gel coat.

What I have found that sort of works is to use a like product without dyes to clean it, specifically "white gas" and a lot of elbow grease with a stiff brush followed up with plenty of hot soapy water. To be honest, even that may not remove it all in which case light wet sanding is called for.

Its in the NONSkid.

I dunno about that approach ..

YD.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'd be tempted just to paint it; since it's non-skid and a utility area it doesn't have to match exactly--and will look better.

Mi duckdown

Commander

I would start with finest rubbing compound you can find.???

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Fiberglass Stain Remover. Got that info from another forum. It's a gel. I'll get some of it this week and give it try this weekend.