Need help with 115ESL shifting!!!

StarBilly

Cadet
Hello everyone. I would like to start by saying, "This is the most informative, educational learning forum online". I have learned a "boat load" of information and now I need your help on an unfamiliar issue regarding shifting.

I have removed lower unit and being a newbie, I forgot to note the position of the shift rod connector. So after cleaning water pump housing and surrounding area, and replacing pump and installing lower unit, the shifting is now WAY off..

It will go into forward fairly easily with not much change since before I tampered with it. Now reverse is the issue. I had to bring remote practically to the end in reverse before she would engage and not without experiencing a severe grinding, clunking noise that sent shivers up my spine.

It was running and shifting like a dream last year and now her maiden voyage was a troubled one that has me very concerned..

Thank you, Billy

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help with 115ESL shifting!!!

There's more to that engine's model number.... what is it so that we can look up the info you need.

If the number is damaged or whatever, and you're absolutely sure of the year, make and hp... what is it?

StarBilly

Cadet

There's more to that engine's model number.... what is it so that we can look up the info you need.

If the number is damaged or whatever, and you're absolutely sure of the year, make and hp... what is it?

Sorry joe. It's 115ESL74B. Making it a 1974 115hp electric start salt water model.
So I've been told.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The 1974 model 115nhas no shift rod measurement. The rod has a threaded top whereas a barrel connector screws onto it. Simply screw the barrel all the way down, then back it up if needed so that the barrel faces in the proper direction.

If you have the shift cable out of adjustment, center it as follows.

(Centering Shift Cable)
(J. Reeves)

When all is as it should be, the proper method to adjust the shift cable is to disconnect the cable from the engine. Move the shift linkage on the engine to find the center of the play in neutral, and when found, leave it centered.

Now, grab the end of the shift cable sleeve, push and pull it to find the center of the play there, and center that play.

Adjust the trunion on the threaded portion of the shift cable so that the centered play of the cable lines up with the centered play of the engine's shift linkage. Install and lock the shift cable with the retaining clamp in that position. That's it.

StarBilly

Cadet

The 1974 model 115nhas no shift rod measurement. The rod has a threaded top whereas a barrel connector screws onto it. Simply screw the barrel all the way down, then back it up if needed so that the barrel faces in the proper direction.

If you have the shift cable out of adjustment, center it as follows.

(Centering Shift Cable)
(J. Reeves)

When all is as it should be, the proper method to adjust the shift cable is to disconnect the cable from the engine. Move the shift linkage on the engine to find the center of the play in neutral, and when found, leave it centered.

Now, grab the end of the shift cable sleeve, push and pull it to find the center of the play there, and center that play.

Adjust the trunion on the threaded portion of the shift cable so that the centered play of the cable lines up with the centered play of the engine's shift linkage. Install and lock the shift cable with the retaining clamp in that position. That's it.

That is awesome info. Thank you so very much j.reeves. I do have a service manual but it must be more general than specific.

StarBilly

Cadet

then back it up if needed so that the barrel faces in the proper direction

Just a little stumped as to which way the barrel is to face to be proper?

Thank you for all your help Joe..:happy:

StarBilly

Cadet

then back it up if needed so that the barrel faces in the proper direction

Thank you for all your help Joe..:happy:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The solid metal portion faces forward.

NOTE.... there is a small nylon bushing in the hole of that barrel. It must absolutely be there, and if it is not, it will result in so much linkage play that it will be impossible to shift into gear properly. Make sure that it is installed.

StarBilly

Cadet

Thank you joe. Yes I do remember seeing that bushing when I took it off. I have ordered all the bushings and washers to replace the originals. Some where brittle and I may have lost some in the dismantle.

Thank you or all your help joe. Apparently the downloaded manual i have is to general so I ordered an OEM factory service manual that just covers the 115hp. I'm hoping it will have all the info I will need on this gem. I have been raised on OMC and this motor for its age is in prestine condition.