Tracker 15' Super Guide w/ leak

newt5005

Seaman
I have isolated the leak to somewhere between the outside center rib and the hull, just above. I put around 30 of gallons of water (more or less) inside the boat and climbed underneath. All the rivets were dry as well as the edge between the top edges of the center rib and the hull. There is a hole (3/16??) in the rib itself approx. where the rib changes direction from sloping to parallel with the top of the boat (about 1/3 of the way back). I have inspected the bow and found no issues and also the back 2/3. There is one section, between two of the gussets that has a piece of aluminum welded across them to form a non-accessible area. I believe the leak is here. The leaking water comes from the hole on the exterior rib just about as fast as it can, without being pressurized. It appears to have been drilled or machined, as opposed to maybe having been "smashed" as in rock damage.
Is this hole a "normal" thing, or can I simply plug the hole in the center rib and call it good? There is anther (similar) hole a couple feet in front of the transom, but there seems to be no water coming out of this hole, even when I jack the front of the boat up, to push the water towards the stern.
Yes, it's new to me, and no, I didn't "water test" prior to purchase.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Tracker 15' Super Guide w/ leak

Pictures would be a much better help than a verbal description, we need to see what you see so we can offer you the best help.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep ^^^ What Jig said. Esp since many (Starcraft for sure) tin boat manufacturers have a drain hole (or 2) along the exterior keel, what you describe may be those.

The water is likely getting into that exterior keel from the inside seam above it. It is only draining out of those holes, the leak is probably in the seam.

I'll try to find a pix for reference.

newt5005

Seaman

Thanks for the input guys. I will get pics this coming weekend.