What are the consequences if a motor is dropped?

mercurself

Recruit
I own a 1964 9.8 horsepower Kiekhaefer Mercury outboard. About a year or so ago a moronic friend of mine dropped the motor from a height of about 3-4 feet. When I went to start the motor I had a really rough time getting it going and even when I did get it to "start", it revved right up to where the throttle is set so it can warm up, but goes right off. It was dropped on the front of the motor (none of the sides just the front). I am wondering what could have happened when it was dropped, if anything could be displaced, or severely damaged.

Thanks in advance for any answers or possibilities. :)

bgc

Ensign
Re: What are the consequences if a motor is dropped?

Probably not, they're rugged motors. Go through the carb and take a look at everything.

mercurself

Recruit

Ok I shall, I will keep you posted on it, and if going through the carb makes no difference?

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Linkage to spark advance mechanism going to the stator.

Sounds like you have some linkage whacked out of position to me.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Please do keep in mind that the issue may not be caused by the drop at all. It sounds like a fouled carb to me. Did you leave untreated gas in the OB over winter?

mercurself

Recruit

No fuel was left in the carb, i did however rebuild the carb a couple days ago and reset the spark advance as well as make sure the linkage to the spark advance was properly adjusted. nothing made a difference. I pulled apart the engine and noticed that the crank case seal was non existent as well as scoring on the bottom piston along with rust on the lower crank shaft. No rust to needle bearings or any bearings at all really. The major thing I notice is the rings are toast.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

So you hadnt run it before it was dropped I take it.

bgc

Ensign

You have my empathy, my 500 had a bad lower seal......4 pistons, all new needle and caged bearings, rings, seals.......