Does fiberglass rot or become brittle

beanz2166

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well does it? Reason I ask is because I have his premonition that my swim ladder is going to rip out of the hull. I'm pushing 210 I have a friend that is around 240 and maybe some other larger family members once in awhile. I already lengthened the screws and put some wood on the back inside to reinforce it. Am I overreacting or is this a legit possibility?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Does fiberglass rot or become brittle

Fiberglass does not rot or become brittle but you can overstress it just like any other material.

It won't rot, but exposure to UV rays can make it brittle. However, the gelcoat provides uv protection.
I wouldn't worry about it. You've addressed the most likely reason for failure by adding the wood supports and longer screws. Hopefully you also sealed the screw holes?

spawnedoutgobey

Seaman Apprentice

As I work with Fiberglass, we do get re work for stuff made in the 80's, mostly repaint and send back out. Exposed resin can breakdown in the sun, and it can fatigue over time. But as long as the resin and glass are protected from the elements you should be Ok. But I have come across many cases where the glass seemed rotted, due to exposure and breakdown of resin. But it sounds like you are good.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

You said you lengthened the screws. Is it through bolted with washers and nuts or screwed into the wood that you installed?

If not through bolted, then I would change it to through bolts, seal it up and have fun.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

As to the direct question, it's one of those where you have to seperate what's possible (yes) from probable (no).

Since the screws go in horizontal, try to keep the stress as vertical as you can

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Well does it? Reason I ask is because I have his premonition that my swim ladder is going to rip out of the hull. I'm pushing 210 I have a friend that is around 240 and maybe some other larger family members once in awhile. I already lengthened the screws and put some wood on the back inside to reinforce it. Am I overreacting or is this a legit possibility?

Yes .. Fiberglass can indeed "rot" per say.

Freezing can seriously damage fiberglass when moist and not properly resin coated. I have seen Fiberglass just completely Mushed.

If you can reach the inside with a new wood .. then Through Bolt that swim ladder with some fender washers.

As far as how 'sound' your mounting points are .. you have to determine that.

But no..your not overreacting .. its completely lagit.

Gelcoat UV thing does not apply here when we are talking about Fiberglass.

Yes the FG will break down over some serious time .. but its not like your boat is built out of marshmellows ..its not going to melt away over a few seasons :) ...

Hope this helps :)

YD.

shrew

Lieutenant

You said you lengthened the screws. Is it through bolted with washers and nuts or screwed into the wood that you installed?

If not through bolted, then I would change it to through bolts, seal it up and have fun.

Ditto. Mine is through bolted. If you're really concerned use larger washers or have a backing plate fabricated and use that instead. with a bakcing plate the ladder fail before the connection to the boat does.

Ned L

Commander

This is a bit beyond the context of this question, but YES, 'fiberglass' does get brittle with age (you do not have to worry though). Polyester resin (used to build boats) hardens though a catalytic curing process that continues curing for years. A 40 or 50 year old fiberglass boat will be slightly more brittle and require slightly less force to cause cracking of the resin that a new boat.
This is far beyond the forces for mounting a boarding ladder.