Im not getting Power to the power pack please help!!!!

teardropz

Recruit
I just bought a 1975 Evinrude 85 hp motor. It hadn't been started in 4 years. I had it started and it died. I checked the battery it was connect correctly, I checked to see if it was getting power to the coils, and It is not getting power to the coils.
Is there anyone else knows to check. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Im not getting Power to the power pack please help!!!!

there is no 12v power going to the coils , it generates its own AC power as the flywheel turns , go to CDI it will tell you there what to do .

teardropz

Recruit

OK so I have tried everything I know how to do on boat motors, I've used tester lights. I have no idea how to use an ohm meter. I'm trying to figure out if I need to replace the power pack, stator, or rectifier. Any ideas on how to figure out which ones not working. It cranks, gets gas, just won't start. I'm not getting fire to the coils or spark plugs.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check out cdielectronics.com. You may get some help.

teardropz

Recruit

OK here's where I'm at now I have done a power pack isolation diode test it. It comes back one side gets a O.L and the other way it came out 3.0. I did a stator resistance test, I got o.l on both wires. Then I did a rectifier test and got o.l and 2.3. The book is confusing me. I just took the flywheel off, and the stator is melted a little. I'm assuming that since its melted it probably needs to be replaced. Would the stator prevent power to get to the power pack?