Evinrude random spark on 2nd cyl

djm0

Cadet
Hi guys,

Im a little confused with this outboard i have. I noticed some spitting sound when operating at low rpm. Once I put it in gear its very slow. It runs better with the 2nd plug wire disconnected. The plugs are new, wires are mint, the 2nd wire appears to fire random. Is it the coil perhaps? No idea...

james__12345

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Evinrude random spark on 2nd cyl

Have you actually put a spark tester on the second plug wire or are you just guessing it's not getting good spark by how its running?

djm0

Cadet

I haven't put a spark tester on it yet, dont own one. If i pull the plug wire from the 1st cyl it doesnt start at all. If i pull the 2nd wire and leave the first connected it runs. If i leave both connected it runs rough and randomaly makes a woop sound where i can see a bit of a flame with a misfire by the intake. Unplug that 2nd cyl and the misfires stop. the plugs are brand new :(

djm0

Cadet

So i decided its time to inspect the magneto. I have a puller and I need to grab a few tools to get the flywheel off. From what I've seen thusfar its pretty clear that the flywheel has been off before. What are the odds that this is just a point/condenser?