1954 johnson qd-15 not running right.

Kpowell3

Cadet
Hello,
I have a 1954 Johnson QD-15 that runs, however both of the idle and high speed screws do not seems to change the way she runs, she keeps buckin and missing when in the shift position, shuts off when in slow, and sounds like a mess if I turn her up anywhere past start (i am referring to the setting listed on the tiller handle). She also seems to be smoking a lot and When I open up the pressurized fuel tank I believe exhaust is coming out (which i think is normal right?). The idle screw on the carb doesnt change the way it runs at all and the high speed jet screw only changes it by shutting it off when closed too much (1/8th turn from seated). I started the idle at 1.5 turns out and the high speed at 1 turn out from seat. Other things I've considered thus far is fuel mix which is 24:1 (as i've found searching online is the correct mix for this motor, however i've also seen 16:1), ensuring the tank is pressurized (loud hissing when I open it by the lid which tells me it is pressurized), gap on the magneto is .020, gap on the plugs .030. The compression is good. Now i'm tired of looking at it and i have a bad sunburn :) time to go to the internets.
Thanks,

Kevin

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1954 johnson qd-15 not running right.

what work have you done so far to the motor? carb cleaned and rekitted? coils ok? points spotless clean?...... exhaust from the pressure tank? do you mean actual smokey exhaust or just pressure being released from the tank?

Kpowell3

Cadet

what work have you done so far to the motor? carb cleaned and rekitted? coils ok? points spotless clean?...... exhaust from the pressure tank? do you mean actual smokey exhaust or just pressure being released from the tank?

New points, condensers, coils, plugs, wires, carb cleaned (not kitted), and yes actual smokey exhaust from the tank, as well as pressure release hissing.

thanks

Kevin

Kpowell3

Cadet

Oh and another thing happened before the last start. I took off the flywheel and noticed the crankshaft key was ground down(thanks to my dumb mistake of not torquing down the flywheel). So I replaced the key, but when I took the ground down key out a sleeve popped up that was spring loaded that I have no clue what it does. I pushed it back down against the spring the best I could and tapped in the new key, it was about 1/16 of an inch from completely against the magneto, I then put the flywheel back on and it started first pull but runs like crap. Is this sleeve adjustable or do I do something wrong?

Thanks,

Kevin

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You didnt use a hardware store key did you?

That spring should be between 2 retaining washers. It keeps pressure on the oil seal.

Kpowell3

Cadet

I used a Johnson oem key from a local marine store

Kpowell3

Cadet

I rechecked the spring and there is, in fact, two retaining washers keeping in on. I used the key to keep it down in place the best I can. I bought a carb rebuild kit and going to install it all today.

Kpowell3

Cadet

Rebuilt the carb with kit and noticed the high and low speed needle valves are total junk. Does anyone know where I could get new ones?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Why do you say they are junk? They are really just faucets. Have any pics?

I have needles but Im not certain they would help you just yet?

A video of it running would help us narrow the issue?

Kpowell3

Cadet

Why do you say they are junk? They are really just faucets. Have any pics?

I have needles but Im not certain they would help you just yet?

A video of it running would help us narrow the issue?

The valves them self, unless entirely seated, wiggle freely and leak gas out of them.

Thanks,

Kevin

lindy46

Captain

Did you install the packing around the needles and tighten the packing nuts?

Kpowell3

Cadet

Yes, I put 2 packing in each, because that's what I removed.

Thanks,

Kevin

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You dont have a needle problem, more of a packing, packing nut issue there. The packing nuts are tight after you adjusted the needles? May need some more packing. The needles should not vibrate loose.