Help! Water leaking through new lower shift cable

gulfraider06

Recruit
Can anyone suggest what might be wrong? There is a leak somewhere and apparently the water is traveling through the shift cable and is dripping down from the threaded end. I replaced the lower shift cable and seals and bellows. I ran out of time and had a mechanic finish up and install the drive. Is it possible I or they installed something wrong? It is a mercruiser alpha 1 1986 with a mercruiser 190 3.7 liter. The boat actually has twins the other one I replaced works fine. Thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help! Water leaking through new lower shift cable

the water O ring is missing or dislodged, the mounting gasket is damaged.
mcshift.jpg

MyFormula

Cadet

the water O ring is missing or dislodged, the mounting gasket is damaged.
mcshift.jpg

Crap, same issue with me and this will be my third time pulling the drive off and I leave in 5 days for vacation. The pressure is truly on. Thanks for posting the photo, that is a huge help!!.:grumpy:

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a leak that is running down the bottom of my inner transom plate. A very slow one. Could that be the same issue?

MyFormula

Cadet

I have a leak that is running down the bottom of my inner transom plate. A very slow one. Could that be the same issue?

I would have to say Bellows on that leak. The cable leak is water being pushed thru the cable sleeve from the drive to the connection on the engine. It's a slow drip but the drip increases with RPM.

alldodge

Staff member

The leak could also come from the gimble pin on top.