Proper Outboad Engine Trim

johnny striper

Seaman Apprentice
Greeting all,

To get my 16' deep V to run straight I have to trim my outboard motor out so far that the water intake is barely underwater at cruising speed. The engine torque is to starboard and my trim tab anode is turned slightly starboard. If I turned the anode slightly more starboard would that help in keeping the trim farther in? My dealer is not open today & I am planning on leaving bright & early tomorrow a.m. Hot striper bite on the Upper Ches. Bay right now and I dont want to miss it. It's easy enough to make the trim tab adjustment I just don't want to something that would adversely affect the performance.......Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Proper Outboad Engine Trim

Adjusting the anode will counteract the torque. Not sure why you need to trim it out so much.

I hear there are lots of rocks in the upper bay, and it is shallow. Recommend slow speed and careful navigating.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Set the trim so the boat runs optimally at the speed you want to run at. Then adjust the anode to neutralize the torque. You're trimming a motor to get rid of torque. First comes first.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Set the trim so the boat runs optimally at the speed you want to run at. Then adjust the anode to neutralize the torque. You're trimming a motor to get rid of torque. First comes first.
Amen that that, Jim. +1

johnny striper

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys...Just got back from the Bay (80 mile drive). Caught a few stripers but nothing over 24". I guess I did things bass-ackwards from what was suggested but I think it worked. Last night I repositioned the trim tab anode to about 5* starboard. Today while on the water my boat came to plane quickly, as usual, and I did not have to trim the motor out quite as far. I lost about 150 rpm & 2 mph off my top end but at cruising speed (4000rpm) I'm still running straight as an arrow and the intake is submerged a little deeper than it was. I think the slight loss in my top end was worth the peace of mind that I've gained knowing that I wont be sucking air instead of water. Thanks again for the input but I did make the adjustment last night prior to receiving your replies.

Chris...The water I fish is very shallow (1 - 15') but for the most part has a sandy/grassy bottom. My charts & gps help keep me from running aground but the edges of my prop are quite shiny from not paying close enough attention to the tide :). I can actually run in
1.5' of clear, weed free, water if I have to. Thanks again, all. I appreciate your suggestions & may re-adjust if need be. Tight lines.