1991 350 Magnum Overheating Question... Help Needed :)

inthewaterky

Cadet
I would greatly appreciate some imput to the following and hope boating season is finding others doing well. As I need some stress relief and need to get on the water.

I have a 1991 Celebrity with a 350 Magnum with thru hull exhaust. Yesterday I was getting the boat ready for the season (Late already) and had this issue occur.

Changed Oil, Fuel Filter, Oil Filter. Changed Thermostat and gaskets to housing. I have the Gen II cooling system that you take the top cover off an replace thermostat.

I then hooked up the muffs, turned the water on and she fired up quickly and ran fine and within temp range for 20-30 minutes at idle. So I shut her down and waited 20 minutes.

Repeated startup, jumped down to walk behind the boat to check water flow out of thru hulls and noticed no water coming out of them and if any at all it was extremly hot. Waited 30-45 seconds and decided to shut her down. Right before hand the engine alarm went off.

Now it appears I'm not getting water to the engine. Would you guys think its the impeller or something else. Remember I have thru hull so no matter if thermostat was stuck I should still have water flowing correct? Always did in the past and you could tell when the thermostat opened as water temp from exhaust changed.

Just kind of stuck trying to figure out what avenue to tackle first.... Find it odd it ran fine for 20-30 minutes on the muffs, then after shutting off and restart I no longer have water flowing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 350 Magnum Overheating Question... Help Needed :)

did you have the rpm above 1200 at any point . low pressure and hi rpm will burn the impeller rather quickly.

inthewaterky

Cadet

did you have the rpm above 1200 at any point . low pressure and hi rpm will burn the impeller rather quickly.

Thanks Boat Doc for the reply. I bumped it twice to about 2200. But was just a bump and ran 10 minutes fine after that.. Any thoughts?

inthewaterky

Cadet

I guess I will start with the impeller and go from there. Just wasn't sure if anyone else may think for other things to look at. Guess I have to start somewhere and the impeller should be first.

inthewaterky

Cadet

Should I order 43026Q06 Repair Kit and a housing or just the kit? Anyone know the part # of the housing?