Enigne cut off because bilge not pumping

wmiller06

Cadet
I just purchased a 1978 AMF Crestliner Crusader 775 and am learning as i go. This is our first boat and i also know I need to purchase a manual. I was hoping someone could help with this until then.

I have attached the photos of the white hose that is under the engine and runs out to the side of the boat. It is not connected to anything and I'm assuming this was the problem yesterday when the boat filled with water and the engines safety cutoff was activated. Any idea where this hose connects to the boat or motor? When I pulled the plug there was way too much water in there. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 20130519_095359.jpg
    20130519_095359.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20130519_095413.jpg
    20130519_095413.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0
  • 20130519_095428.jpg
    20130519_095428.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Enigne cut off because bilge not pumping

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... There's Supposed to be a bilge pump on the end of that hose...

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

It looks like a bilge pump hose.

I will add that boats aren't supposed to take on water under normal use. The only exception to this is when someone who is wet from swimming, climbs into the boat. If you are taking on water while cruising around, you will want to figure that out so you don't find yourself in a bad position.

And besides the fact that you have a non-existent bilge pump, where's the water coming from? Are you thinking it's coming in through the hose outlet? The hose should be routed so that it goes as high as possible before coming back down (and of course put a bilge pump at the end of the hose !!!!). Or is water coming in from somewhere else?

In any case you've got an issue or two that needs to be addressed immediately.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Also as far as I have ever heard there is no such thing as an engine safety cutoff for high bilge water.

wmiller06

Cadet

yea there's been a few issues since I bought this "Lake Ready" boat. I'm not sure where the bilge pump is located. Should it be right under the engine? Is it possible that the hose is just disconnected? I dont think the water is coming in from the hole in the side. When the engine stopped, the water stopped rising. Any ideas? Thanks again for all your help.

wmiller06

Cadet

Also as far as I have ever heard there is no such thing as an engine safety cutoff for high bilge water.

Thats just what I was told by another Crestliner owner at the harbor. After I pulled the plug and got it home I hooked it to the muffs and it fired right up. Wouldn't start in the water. The water in the boat never reached the motor so I dont think that was the issue.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

been de-winterized?

IE hoses hooked back up belts tightened, (engine and exhaust) drain plugs reinstalled

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Just to throw in my 2c worth.
Boat should have a bilge pump with a automatic float switch as well as a manual start switch.
If the boats only taking on water while on the water it could be through the bilge line (because it is disconnected) or through the drives bellows (there is a tear in the rubber) or it could be where ever there is a bolt/object going through the transom/hull thats not sealed.

BonairII

Commander

Just to throw in my 2c worth.
Boat should have a bilge pump with a automatic float switch as well as a manual start switch.
If the boats only taking on water while on the water it could be through the bilge line (because it is disconnected) or through the drives bellows (there is a tear in the rubber) or it could be where ever there is a bolt/object going through the transom/hull thats not sealed.

I would suggest TWO bilge pumps. An automatic....and one manual for emergency situations.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'd suggest two more things before those tow things (which are important), in this order:

1. Don't go out on the boat again unless you have a qualified marine mechanic or an experienced boater with you--hire one if you must. Leave the family on shore.
2..Take a live boater safety course.

You have a lot going on that could be dozens of problems including one that is potentially fatal. This is serious stuff.

BonairII

Commander

I would also add:

Don't go far from shore until you are completely sure that the boat is running properly...and safe. Also, bring a friend(or other useful person) with you that can help with any issues that may arise during your trial runs.

Def leave the family on shore.

wmiller06

Cadet

Thanks for your help everyone. I was hoping it was something simple. I have an expert on the way over to go through it top to bottom. I wouldn't take the family out until I was sure it was safe. Thanks again.