Engine drain plug

kais

Recruit
long story short last spring i bought a 1992 20 foot bayliner sport open bow with a mercruiser 4.6 liter from 4 hours away. i wasn't coming home without a boat. took boat to marine mechanic shop right away to have it looked through. a few issues but over all it was a decent running boat. last fall took it back and had it winterized. one issue. they got it winterized but the owner of the shop said he had to drill the drain plug out of the drivers side b/c it must have a small crack or something b/c it is all jb welded up. he said no big deal he could re tap it and brass plug it then or just wait till spring. i decided to wait until spring b/c that same side an exhaust manifold has some hair line cracks in it and just has some jb weld spreaded across that to just get by. so i though i would save the money up over winter to get all that taken care off in the spring. so 2 weeks ago i wanted to take it in. well they said they would not have it done by the holiday weekend. i'm like what!a month ago they said dont bring it in yet and now it wont be done for memorial day. so any way. i got boat out yesterday and took a look at the drain plug. it's still in there. hasn't even been disturbed. i know i can run it like the way it is b/c i did last year. but my mechanic said it was already drilled out and just needed to be threaded and brass plug installed. i'm confused! what you think i should do?

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: Engine drain plug

Either he told you a story, or you are looking at two different plugs.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

sounds like you have a cracked block and at least one cracked manifold - jb weld is not a repair

i would not suggest running the engine at all until it is properly repaired, running the engine with the issues you stated only leads to more issues later on

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Pretty simple...
Run it until it breaks, or get it fixed.

It's obviously FUBAR.

Find another mechanic.