yamaha 4 stroke won't start

firedog11ku

Cadet
My brother has a 2011 Yamaha F40LA on his pontoon boat. Last summer, which was brutally hot here in Nebraska, when we went to take it out of the water, it wouldn't start. Sprayed a little Carb cleaner in the air intake and it fired, but wouldn't run. It was a day that was 105 degrees, so I thought maybe it was vapor locked. We got it loaded and took it home. Parked it in the shade, put some muffs on it and when it cooled off, tried to start it, still would only fire when Carb cleaner was sprayed. Checked fuel filter and replaced the gas. Still nothing.

I have fuel at the filter, but had to use the primer ball to get it there. Any ideas on where to go from here? I can take it to a boat shop, but would rather do it myself if I can.

Thanks for any help.

firedog11ku

Cadet
Re: yamaha 4 stroke won't start

BTW, it is a four stroke. Even though it's in the title, thought I'd better put it in the post.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

fuel lift pump has a hard time sucking on just air to pull fuel from tank unless you pump primer bulb until firm filling lines, filter, and pump with fuel .
And it should also pump fuel into VST so the electric pump can pressure up the injector rail. maybe the pump in VST is not coming on

firedog11ku

Cadet

Does the fuel pump make a sound like a fuel injected car does when the key is turned on? I have fuel pressure on the fuel pump side of the strainer(I'm assuming from the primer bulb), but nothing at the fuel rail. When I turn the key on, I don't hear anything. Any ideas? Is there anything that I can check or try?

Is the VST inside the fuel pump case?

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have any warrenty on this motor?(2011) If so take it to the dealership and see what they say. its worth a try