engine quits

trickworm1

Recruit
My '92 Force 70 HP cranks, idles, runs smooth....to a point. When i push the trottle more than 60%, the engine just dies, like you turn a switch off. No problem restarting...and running..as long as I stay under 60% throttle. I just rebuilt the carb. I have new plugs in it. It has one carb and three cylinders. I am baffled... any ideas, folks?? Thanks in advance for your help.
Steve

foodfisher

Captain
Re: engine quits

Check wiring up around the flywheel for rubbed bare spots. The ones that move when you throttle up.

trickworm1

Recruit

Thanks Commander..will look at that when I go to the lake next weekend. Will happily take any other suggestions, also.
Steve

foodfisher

Captain

You do know that rank has nothing to do with expertise? BTW I'm Steve too.

trickworm1

Recruit

Foodfisher...yeah new to this bulletin board stuff. I read your rank instead of your name. I am a fisher, too...but mostly sport fishing. Almost always throw them back. Trickworm is my favorite bass lure. Gonna look for loose/frayed wires when I go to the lake this weekend. Hopefully I can find a simple fix, like you describe. No one else has had any suggestions. Thanks for your input. I will report back with my findings. My mechanic friend has thrown his hands up. Someone told me to check rich/lean mixture on carb. I guess that will be next attempt to fix. Have a good Memorial Day.
Steve