No start, No Spark, Evinrude 50hp 4 stroke, 1999

Rickf

Cadet
Engine ran fine when stored 3 years ago, has compression, rolls over fine, no spark, has no power from ecu Connector D-1 to MAP, Crank Sensors, Cam sensor or anything else on that leg from the ecu, 2 engine fuses are good, have battery Voltage on B-5, What is the voltage supposed to be on D-1? Cars use a 5v or 8v. I'll supply that and see if it fixes it before I by a new ECU, From the ECU connectors All sensors ohm out per the manual, this engine has less than 50 hours on it, Any suggestions, The ECU is not cheap. Thanks,

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: No start, No Spark, Evinrude 50hp 4 stroke, 1999

The usual question. Is the kill circuit disconnected from the mtr ??

Rickf

Cadet

I don't know for sure, and I don't have a wiring schematic for the binnacle mount remote shifter, Any Ideas where or how to check. I hope its that simple as I put the boat on a borrowed trailer today and would hate to have to take it back off. Thanks for the input.

daselbee

Commander

Listen for fuel pump operation when key is turned to ON position. Should run for about 10 secs. Check for +12v on the grey wires feeding the connector at the top of coils. That +12 v is critical for spark and fuel pump operation. It is fused. It is also sourced thru the main relay.

Rickf

Cadet

I have the 12 v on the gray wires to the coils and injectors indicating the relay is working, and I do have power to the fuse 15a at pump, when the key is on,:joyous:, the hi pressure fuel pump is not cycling, and I'm not getting any power:blue: to the cam and crank sensors, Map, cyl head temp, ex temp, out of D1, Boobie suggested possible kill circuit issue:confused:, trying to find info on that, the lanyard has never hooked to the ignition switch so I'm hoping that it is disconnected, Thanks for the input.

Rickf

Cadet

Thank you, Daselbee, I was going to supply ground to the Hi Pressure tonight as you suggested, I did, and the pump was not running removed pump, jumped it on the outside, it is inop. anything else I should change, should I rebuild other fuel pump also and change the 2 filters? no water on inside not sure why it failed unless lack of use. I am hoping that the pump must run in order for the EMM (ECU) to power the cam and crank sensors, another words if there is no fuel I'm not going to give spark? Thanks again. Will advise after pump replacement.

daselbee

Commander

No, the EMM is not that smart. It cannot detect if the fuel pump is running or not. Are you absolutely sure you have no spark? did you do the plug against the block method to see if it was sparking? Checking for spark on these is tricky. It will fool you sometimes, making you think there is no spark when there actually is. I regularly question my equipment, wondering if I am seeing what I should be seeing, or if the test equipment is bad or lying to me....:facepalm:

Rickf

Cadet

Ordered fuel pump today, not even going to tear the other one apart, don't want to smell like old fuel for a couple of days. Smelled bad enough after just getting it apart. tested other fuel pump it is pumping so will let it go for now. As for spark have none, hooked alligator clip and jumper wire to ground engine plug, no spark. Have no power from the EMM connector D pin 1, which supplies power for the cam and crank sensors and the rest of the sensors also, will have to have power here first or will have no spark, will try and get to dealer this weekend and look through his manuals and see if there is anything there. Thanks for the help

Rickf

Cadet

First I was all backwards, got a hold of a factory manual and d1 pin is the ground for the circuit also got the voltages for all the emm connectors ( just had resistances before) they were all in line with the manual, put the new fuel pump in and it is operating properly, and I have spark weak spark as you said Daselbee, so weak I almost missed it, tried an inline spark tester, and had wala, inline spark tester showed spark, put the plug back in and had as you said weak spark, boat starts, will put muffs on and run hopefully tomorrow time and wife permitting. The BIG ? was the spark there all the time, or did the fuel pump have to be operating to have spark? not looking a gift horse in the mouth, I 'll unplug the fuel pump and see if I still have spark (after its running for a while) and update. thanks for the help.