Yamaha starts and runs great, but won't start again

boater90

Recruit
I have a 2 stroke 2004 Yamaha 90 outboard and the motor starts great when I launch, but after running down the river for about 20-30 minutes to a fishing spot, and fishing for an hour or two, the motor does not want to start again. I turn the key and it cranks but won't turn over, I prime the bulb and it will eventually start again. After I get the motor running, I will run it back to the landing, cut the motor, and it starts on the first try. It seems like the problem only happens after running the motor for awhile, and then letting it sit for an hour or two. Thanks for reading!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha starts and runs great, but won't start again

Are you trying to say it looses prime or that it floods? or no spark?

How are you trying to start it, when it will not start?

You can test spark with spark tester to see if it is loosing spark when it will not fire up, then you will know what to chase.
Spark or fuel problem

boater90

Recruit

It does seem like it is flooding. I didn't think it was a spark problem because it fires right up when I take it out. Another thing I forgot to mention, I took the boat out and ran it fine and it never had a problem on Thursday, but I went fishing in a lake and didnt run it very much. Friday is when I had the problem, it happened only after running for awhile, and then fishing for about an hour or two, then it wouldn't want to start again.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Still need to know if it is getting spark when it will not start

boater90

Recruit

Alright, I ordered a spark tester today. Could bad gas cause this problem? I just bought the boat and the gas tank was full when I got it, but I don't know how long the gas was in there, but I did put sea foam in it when I got it.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I do not recommend burning old fuel

boater90

Recruit

I got all the old fuel out today. I will be burning ethanol-free gas now, I know a local gas station that sells it. But if the gas was bad, wouldn't the motor have had problems starting at first? Since it started right up at the dock, that made me less confident about the cause being bad gas.