can i use standard chevy truck valve covers on my omc 5.7 liter?

mmhyson

Seaman
the valve covers currently on my boat are rotting away . is there a difference in marine valve covers over standard truck valve covers. I see the price differences are crazy different. boat is trailered to river not kept in water. I see a nice pair of chrome ones on ebay for 30 bucks with free shipping. I would like to get them. thanks for the help

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: can i use standard chevy truck valve covers on my omc 5.7 liter?

There is not a performance or fitment difference.. there is a longevity and visual difference - stamped steel covers (chrome) will start to rust fairly quickly, and even faster if used in salt water - look for some aluminum covers, or painted covers.. they will last longer.. or at least be prepared to constantly be cleaning the chrome ones... there is a reason why all the metal used on a boat is stainless...

Make sure the height and holes (grommet) configuration are the same - most boat engines still use PCV and no venting to the atmosphere.. and there can be parts of a marine engine that will not allow higher valve covers (like risers and shifting brackets)

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just a suggestion - I would take the ones you have, sand 'em down and paint them. That way you don't get mixed up with something that does not work out.

mmhyson

Seaman

The problem I have is the ones I have ar e rotin an I can see the valve cover gasket. They needto be replaced

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those ebay chrome covers will rust in 2-3 months tops. IMO,Just hit a junkyard, pick up a set of stockers and paint them or pony up the coin for good set of aluminum or fabbed VCs.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I threw on a set of cheap chrome valve covers last spring when I did my head gaskets because my stock covers were rusted through. They Still look like new, so I have no reason to think they wont last at least a few more seasons. I only boat in fresh water though.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

will aftermarket valve covers fit with the original 5.7 OMC rear-riser exhaust manifolds? I'm not sure. I know the 3.8 and 4.3 V6 have a clearance issue and require only steel original stamped covers. Maybe the sbc manifolds have more clearance to the head...