Passing Cables Through Console

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will be mounting a VHF radio and a fish finder to the console area of my boat. I will need to pass through the console the power and antenna cables for the radio, and the power and transducer cable for the fish finder. What is the best way to keep a fairly clean look? I have considered using a clamshell vent, but I assume there may be better ideas?

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Passing Cables Through Console

Help us help you. A picture of said console is worth 1E3 words.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I will be mounting a VHF radio and a fish finder to the console area of my boat. I will need to pass through the console the power and antenna cables for the radio, and the power and transducer cable for the fish finder. What is the best way to keep a fairly clean look? I have considered using a clamshell vent, but I assume there may be better ideas?

Not understanding exactly where you are running those cables, however, any time you pass any cable through a hard surface, make sure you use some type of grommet to preclude chafing of any of the cables that will one day cause trouble. Minor vibrations will eventually rub through cables causing shorts or worst a fire... Post a few pictures of your isse and we can give much better suggestions...

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are a couple pictures from Suntracker linked below. The fish finder will be mounted using a Ram Mount above the throttle, below where the windshield stops. The VHF radio will most likely be mounted in the empty space between the steering wheel and gauge cluster on top of the console. I will be drilling some holes to feed these cable inside the console, where they can hook into the power distribution block, or otherwise be run to where they need to go. I will use something to keep them from chaffing. But I am wondering what to do to keep the holes cleaner looking, and to keep water from going under the console at those points. I have read where people use a clamshell vent, run the cables, then fill the vent opening with some type of sealant.
http://media.tmgcreative.com/2013/SUN-TRACKER_112013/Signature-Pontoons_2312013/PARTY-BARGE-20-DLX_3523/Features-Options_1327196/PARTY-BARGE-20-DLX_img22064_900.jpg
http://media.tmgcreative.com/2013/SUN-TRACKER_112013/Signature-Pontoons_2312013/PARTY-BARGE-20-DLX_3523/Features-Options_1327196/PARTY-BARGE-20-DLX_img22061_900.jpg