3 HP Evinrude Recoil question

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Replaced the broken spring in the recoil of a recently acquired early 50's 3 Evinrude. Seems to work fine until I mount it on the engine. It 'grabbed' and worked the first few pulls. Does not want to engage anymore. Every time I remove the starter now I find the bolt that holds the spindle is loose (yes the washer is there). Also, the small nipple on the end of the spindle that engages with a corresponding hole is there and I do have it lined up. Yes, the three engagement arms are in place along with their springs. Did I miss something or a part?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3 HP Evinrude Recoil question

I just looked thru my 1951 parts book at the 3hp model. It does have the parts exactly as you described (I had to refresh my memory). The one I was looking at has the screw/bolt (whichever you have) screwed directly into the manual starter housing (no retaining nut). Is this what you have?

Clean the threads of the housing and the bolt with either lacquer thinner or acetone to remove any grease, oil, whatever.

You mention only one washer... there should be the screw/bolt, a lock washer, and a flat washer that inserts into the pulley spindle.

If this is the design you have, or even if it is not..... with the greased spindle and its pin inserted into the retaining hole, insert the screw/bolt, lock washer, and the flat washer and tighten it securely... if it is a regular slot type screw, tighten it with a hand held impact screwdriver... hand tightening just won't do it.

I would also suggest applying some Loc-Tite on the screw/bolt threads before installing it, then let it set up for 10 or 15 minutes.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

i had the same issue with my recoil as well. not sure exactly if yours is like mine but the screw that holds the recoil to the casing can not be too tight. if the bolt or screw sticks out of the top of casing you need a nut there to keep the bolt from backing out. with mine it is hand tight and then half a turn with a socket or a screwdriver. dont know if that helps or not.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies. I have a feeling that there's a nut or washer missing. The pawls are swinging out as they should. Seems if I tighten the bolt too much it almost seizes that recoil. After a couple of pulls the bolt becomes loose and there is no 'grabbing' action by the pawls. I think that when the bolt loosens the 'large ring-like washer' to which they're attached begins to spin so there's no longer a connection with the corresponding part on the flywheel. Must be something missing. I have manuals but nothing for this 3. Starters on larger motors in my manuals are somewhat different. Anyone know where I can find a diagram on the internet. It's probably a washer or something; like Joe mentioned.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Problem solved: I found the small nipple at the end of the spindle was not in place (probably was on one of my tries). The recoil pulley does not automatically allow for the alignment of the spindle. You have to make sure the pulley is dead on center or the nipple will never lock into place. In addition, the bolt needed the lock washer. After the correct alignment of the spindle and adding the lock washer (on top of the flat washer) the recoil works as it should. You can tighten it down tight and have to as Joe said. In hindsight it was much to do about nothing. I'll know next time.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

thats not the same recoil his recoil sits on top of the flywheel yours has a plastic sprocket that raises up under the flywheel. i just fixed one just like yours. do you have a problem with it ?

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Don: hardwater is correct. Mine is a completely different beast. Hopefully he can help you as I'm not familiar with that type. Good luck and 'thanks' everyone for your interest and input.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, I'm not having a problem. Was just trying to understand twocyclemania's problem. It's interesting. Back as far as it shows, 1968, the BRP diagram for the 3 hp shows the same rewind as I have on my 1970.

Don't know what year I should call my motor. It's a 1970 with a 1974 block.

DLH

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Don, although the 3 horse was produced from 1952 through 1968, 1968 was the year they repackaged them. All years of Evinrude 3s from 1952 - 1967 share the same cowl, tank, recoil and general looks, although the lower unit did get some changes for 1964 with a new straight drive version and a switch to a single transom clamp. The 1968 3 looked like a different motor because of several packaging changes, including a new pan, a new removable fiberglass cowling, a new throttle lever, a new spool-type starter assembly, plus they switched to a remote fuel tank. They also switched back to twin transom clamps. The 1969 - 1978 4-horse models looked just like the 1968 3-horse. For 1979 they switched to an integral tank again and they looked like the 1972+ Belgian versions.

Johnson 3s looked the same from 1952 to 1955, then the fins changed from forward facing to rearward facing in 56, then for 1957 they added a carrying handle on the front. That style carried through 1967. The Johnson 3 likewise went through the same sort of changes as Evinrude for 1968, then becoming a 4 in 1969.