Johnson needs help!

DBreezy60

Recruit
2000 60hp Johnson after a while will idle for a few minutes then die. Once I got it going today I got onto step and it juan killed on me. drained tank put new fuel and idles rough ok the ear muffs. At times I can't go forward or revers without it dying. When it does get going it'll run for just a c?uples minutes then die. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks guys!

James R

Commander
Re: Johnson needs help!

Sounds like one cylinder is not performing. However before you go into anything a compression check would be the way to go.

DBreezy60

Recruit

Ill do the compression test. Although I'm wondering why at times would it idle and run all the way to too speed for a minute or so then die; if its compression? the gas that was in the tank previously was 5 months old with no additive. The lil air cap on top the gas cap on the tank was left open in the weather! :/

James R

Commander

First compression check. If good then carb cleaning and rebuilding is a must. A dirty carb will burn your motor up. Never put todays fuel in your motor without Stabil. Your fuel lines may be eaten away and they will need replacing. Use Stabil to help avoid fuel related problems.

DBreezy60

Recruit

James,
I really appreciate your help! Ill try and start you from scratch just to be sure we on the same page. The motor is a 3 cyl. Johnson 60hp 2000model it has never given any problems except on the right side of the motor(standing behind the motor) there is a black and silver cylinder with two fuels lines hooked up. It has a little red lever and a valve stem with a cap on it. If the red lever is facing the back of the motor it takes a while at cold start. If I turn the lever 180 degrees to the front the boat then gas squirts out but it starts right up. Then I flip it back and 30 seconds later I'm good to go. Well my boat has sat up since January. Went start it with the muffs and it didn't stay running and bulb would go flat. Bought a new primer bulb ran it again on the muffs and ran fine. Well two months later( this past Saturday) went to the dock for the first time since January. Took 30 min to get it to idle. Then I took off got on step at WOT and she ran for 1 minute before killing instantly. Took another 10 minutes to get her idling but it was the same results at WOT. This was the 5 month old gas in the tank. Prior to January the boat idled and ran flawlessly! thanks for any info!

James R

Commander

You have a fuel supply problem. Sounds like dirt in the tank blocking the pick up tube. If you have had fuel in the tank for that long without Stabil you are in deep doo doo. Todays fuel goes bad after about 30 days. To keep it fresh you must add Stabil when you fill up. Once it is bad get it out. Chances are that the bad fuel has caused a build up of shelac, brown crap, on the sides of the tank. This washes back into the fuel and causes blockages. Been there done that. You will probably need to remove the pick up tube to clear the tube and check valve. The bad fuel could have caused blockages in the carbs so if you want to avoid a blown motor strip the carbs, clean and rebuild with new kits. Remember if the carbs don't work correctly the lubrication will not be there.