1985 Johnson 70 hp stuck lower unit

Sciotorugby4

Cadet
I recently picked up a 1985 Rinker runabout with a Johnson 70 hp outboard for almost nothing. This is my first venture into working on boats and I'm stuck. I have removed all the bolts holding the lower unit on and I can only get it to come down about 4 inches. It's down far enough that if I turn the fly wheel the propeller shaft does not spin. I've pulled, wiggled, even pried with a screwdriver. Can anyone give me some tips or where to go next to get this off?

Thanks

James R

Commander
Re: 1985 Johnson 70 hp stuck lower unit

You need to disconnect the shift rod. Probably a screw pin through the shift shaft securing the shift rod. Look under the lower carb. Tricky little job.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it comes down 4 inches the shift pin is not holding it. Wiggle the hell out of it and see what happens.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

lock the flywheel up get a pipe wrench & work the drive shaft loos in a anti clock wise it will drop out

James R

Commander

If the lower dropped 4 inches the drive shaft is already free.

Sciotorugby4

Cadet

I soaked the drive shaft and everything in the area with PB blaster, I'll try some more wiggling later on this after noon. We'll see how it goes.

spawnedoutgobey

Seaman Apprentice

I might be able to help. I have just recently removed my lower unit from my 1987 Evinrude 70 hp and ran I to the same problem.
On the left side of the motor you should find the shift lever in the engine. There is a small pon that needs to be removed. Look in behind on the shift lever and remove the hair pin. Now the arm should plunge in and out. This should release the shift rod in the lower end.
I removed the air box covering the carbs to give me better light and viewing from the other side of the motor. I would also replace the four bolts on the bottom end before doing this. If I can I will post pictures later if I can figure it out from my phone.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Congrats! What did you find that it was hung up on?

Sciotorugby4

Cadet

My guess is that it was just corroded, it slid right out after soaking it with PB blaster and letting it sit for a few hours.