priming the water separator

plztellme

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Last year I installed an oil/water separator. When I tried to start the engine, it would not start. When I removed the gas line to the separator and hooked it directly to the bulb, Walla, it started. Later when I had the boat in the shop for an unrelated repair, I mentioned the problem to the mechanic. He said that I had to prime the oil/water separator which he did later, but didn't tell me how to do it. Now I'm ready to take the boat out and still don't know Jack about the priming part. I dumped the separator before winter. Heeeeeelp!!!!!!!!.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: priming the water separator

I just keep pumping the primer bulb until my fuel/water separator and carb float chambers are full....the bulb gets hard at that point, then motor should be ready to start. Unless you dump your separator or install a new one it should remain full and not require re-priming...

NHGuy

Captain

Don't reuse that separator.
If your motor is outboard, then do as Robert Graham said.
If it's a sterndrive or inboard it will either take a lot of cranking, or you can fill the inside of a new separator/filter with gas before installing. Another way is to put a couple teaspoons of gas in the top of the carb. That will allow the motor to run, which will in turn bring the fuel in through the filter to feed the motor.

etracer68

Ensign

The filter is an, water separator, no oil, is separated.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Remove old filter, dump fuel into a container, and dispose of both.
New 1 piece filter, top with fuel (it takes a little effort to get the fuel level equal on both sides of the filter cloth, be patient till all the airs out) and screw it on.
For a 2 piece, its the same but clean the base bowl out well.